Small 'spoons' off the end of a dry line.

In Mt. Vernon, WA years ago a gentleman by the name of Wells developed a thin spoon for casting with a fly rod. Some up here claim that Dicknite stole the design from Wells. Don't know if that is true but do know the Wells spoon is exactly like the Dicknite except it is hand made out of thinner material. As the story goes when Wells developed his spoon there wasn't any machinery around that could press the thin material he used into the proper shape and even today these spoons (which are highly sought after) have a far better action then the Dicknite spoons because of the thinner, lighter metal used. Dicknite used a heavier gauge metal so they could be massed produced using modern machinery.

I have cast these light Wells spoons with a spey rod and they work very well. Why use a spey rod or any other fly rod to fish these light weight spoons? Much better control of the line and spoon for better placement and lure action. That’s why. The combination can be deadly for salmon, especially coho.

No one is making the Wells spoon anymore. A gentleman who had the original (I think) Wells spoon jigs died about 5 years ago and he was the last to make them.
My hunting partner got all of DZ Wells spoon making molds

I think one of the advantages of tossing a small spoon with a spey rod is the lack of lead needed. To toss out a small spoon with a gear rod you've got to use some weight, with spey rod you can choose your tips accordingly. The gear rod certainly excels at accessing deeper water, but the bug rod has the advantage for the water that's not as deep. I actually hooked a really nice coho doing this last fall when all the gear guys weren't doing well. Super fun. I'd do it again :D

orangeradish

Eyes to the sky...
The search function strikes again...

There is an advantage to using spoons on a fly rod. You'd need a bunch of lead to load a gear rod enough to cast a lightweight spoon. That works fine in heavy water, but causes it to drop like a rock in froggy stuff. The same spoon on an intermediate line just hovers. At least that's what I have read on the internet. I would never do such a thing. Ever. Honest.

JS

Hahaha, I was wondering when that was coming. It's all good! You of all people know that if one were to follow me around long enough they would see me do the dirty bead dance, and that is just gear fishing on a fly rod as well. I am happy to say that I have been slowly detoxing myself from these transgressions and have fished the dry line with surface or traditional bugs this year exclusively. With life changing success, might I add.

chrome/22

For him there whould always be the riddle of steel
I think one of the advantages of tossing a small spoon with a spey rod is the lack of lead needed....... I actually hooked a really nice coho doing this last fall when all the gear guys weren't doing well. Super fun. I'd do it again :D
Its been going on for a LONG time, I've read about tiny 3-0 Pflueger colorado spinners on single hand rods & floating line back in the 1940/50's.

Trout Fishermans Bible by Dan Holland has a chapter on it.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

c/22

E

Evan Virnoche

you should see my pink box. Ever since I learned I can throw a dick nite on a fly rod the more assanine using a fly sounds