Small Stream, Big Salmon?

Hi There,

I dropped in to a tiny South-Sound stream last night, hoping that recent rains had possibly pumped in some SRCs. Instead I was surprised to discover lots of large salmon wriggling through the shallow runs and riffles.

I felt like I was in the middle of a Discovery Channel documentary, watching 10-plus-pound coho and chum thrashing their way upstream in a 3-inch deep riffle! Anyway, the fish were very dark, and looked like they were mere days away from becoming streamside fertilizer or bald-eagle buffets.

From what I could discern from the reg pamphlet, the season on this little trickle of stream is open for salmon this time of year-although I didn't see anyone else fishing it.

I haven't done much freshwater salmon fishing, and was just wondering about the ethics. Would any of you fish for salmon in conditions like these?

Thanks for input!

G

only snaggers fish in situations like that. probly better just to let them be if they have made it that far

Try a lightly weighted egg headed leach or flashy fly slowly striped across the current in the deeper pools or where they are holding. If you see a wake behind the fly accelerate your strip. Another tactic is to use a glowing fly @ light change. Watch the water before fishing to see whether they are digging nests if so I would let them be. I would also let them alone the stream is so small the fish has no place to run.