32 seconds

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Salmo_g, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,566 / 0
    That's how long it took from the time I clicked on the "New Thread" button until this page loaded so I could ask these questions.

I frequent 3 websites and once in a while look at others. Generally I can click on something and the page loads in 2 seconds or less. This is consistent across two computers at home using Comcast and one in the office on some high speed internet set up. And then there is WFF. When I come here, pages may load at the usual speed, so I happily click away and read and post. And then all too commonly, like today, after a half dozen clicks to read threads, it happens yet again. I click on the thread and the little circle on the upper right part of my screen goes around indicating the page is loading - or trying to load, but it doesn't. Maybe it will in 30 seconds, or 60 seconds, or it will time out after 2 minutes.

WFF is the only website I visit where this happens, and it happens regularly. I've asked a couple people here about it, and they say WFF loads just fine, like any website. How about the rest of you?

Am I jinxed? 3 computers, two different internet connections, and it all works just fine on other web sites. But WFF doesn't want to load before timing out after a few views. What gives?

Could I make some adjustments for this site so that it will load normally and I can enjoy it? As it is, I've blown an entire coffee break and viewed only 4 threads.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  2. SuperDave New Member

.Spanaway, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Comcast and Dell load WFF just fine for me; only occassionally is there a lag.

SuperDave
  3. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I've been having the same problem recently. Sometimes the "New Posts" search takes a while or times out. I believe that is on the server side, since I have high speed internet at home and work is even faster. Other sites I frequent don't have a problem, at least not at the same time.

I assume that Chris is aware of it, or will be when he reads this.

Bill
  4. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    It's the servers the site runs on probably. I've been sitting on a T1 all to my lonesome and it happens. This is a heavily used site and I'm assuming it doesn't have a heavily used site budget.
  5. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    I've had the same experience. I'm on here frequently throughout the day, sometimes it's business as usual and sometimes it takes a bit of patience.
  6. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +485 / 0
    I have experienced this too. Over the holidays we switched to Comcast high speed and it was such a great improvement and for several weeks everything was fine. Now at times WWF loads very slowly but I thought it was just my computer. :confused:
  7. Swandazi Kevin

Washington
    sometimes the wff flyfishing website takes several minutes to load and sometimes doesnt even load, but most of the time it takes a secound or two and i have comcast highspeed
  8. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I get it to, it's definatly a host resource issue and not a network issue. Scoones will have to dig in and poke around, he might already be aware. I have a theory that the DB has grown so large it's getting slower to respond to queries especially during peak hours when multiple queries are coming at the same time, requests must be queued. Each time the New Post link is clicked a search is performed against the existing post DB.

It's annoying at times, but if you use tabbed browsing it's not too bad, just read something in another tab while it loads.

Sorry guys hopefully the issue can be nailed down and resolved soon.
  9. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +168 / 0
    Chris, you need to get some venture capital financing, build a big server farm in Eastern Washington, and take this thing big time! Can you say "the Google of flyfishing sites"? :)

BTW, I have similar problems from time to time, but it seems totally random.
  10. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +242 / 0
    I think there's a way you can save most of the graphics to your temp files and only the new text crap has to load.
  11. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    That doesn't do anything to help a server-side database locking & blocking scenario, which is the root cause of the slowdowns as Ibn described.
  12. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Caching images won't make a difference if it's a database issue. If the site is maxing out it's connection pool(assuming it's one of the big 3 databases) there isn'tanything you can do on your pc to make it any better. That is an admin issue and depending on the host, usually a bigger pool and or connection timeout = more $$$$. Take a look at the advertisements and click on the ones you find interesting. I'm imagine that will help the most.

PS I am in no way affiliated with this web site or owners and am probably talking out my asss :rofl:
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,617 / 0
    Well I live in a third world country(Montana). And I have dial-up which is slower than a seven year itch. I can't watch any videos and trying to get up this page took me longer than 32 seconds. You should all feel lucky that you ain't here. I could get broadband but I don't have enough money coming in each month to pay for it. Nothing is cheap in this third world country except gas. $2.19.9 a gallon.

Jim
  14. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    I'm aware of it. WFF is on the largest dedicated server the leasing company I'm using offers and it wasn't that long ago I migrated to it. I'll likely be able to improve the load by turning off a couple features (temporarily) which require extra DB queries each pageview, such as that random thumb image in the left forum column. Might have to split out to a 2nd server before long.

Also note that site is growing still. In the past week the daily average is 17K visits and 230K pageviews. There is also an large upswing in activity from spam bots, harvesters, web leech software and exploit agents. Still, the server should be handling it a little better, so I'll see what I can see.
  15. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    So, you've got the webserver and the db (MySQL, right?) runnning on the same box? Have you tried rebuilding the indexes? I have some scripts that I run on our SQL Server db every so often to clean it up and defrag the indexes. That could help out a bit unless of course there just isn't enough space for an adequate pagefile. The queries that we are running should be fairly simple indexed queries, so the return times really shoudl be pretty low. If it's not a MySQL database, are the queries encased in Stored Procedures?

Or, I guess you know what you're doing so I should be quiet, but if I can help, I'd be happy to try.

Willie
  16. Todd Ripley New Member

Seattle, Washington
    Steve, I'm thinking it's because everything you read or write on the internet has to go through three different computers at Homeland Security before it gets in or out...I have the same problem, too.

Try adding something nice about Republicans at the end of each post, and it should skip through the Homeland Security filters and go straight onto the site.

:)

I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, and then hope to head out to Forks ASAP upon my return...if you show up before Sat. the 24th, I could easily be talked into a half day of two-handed casting with you...if you'd be willing to give a brother a lesson, that is!

Either way, see ya out there.

Fish on...

Todd
  17. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +86 / 0
    Maybe if everybody on this site bought a hat or two that would help Chris with $$ to make the site more resilient. Just a thought.
  18. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    My experience is similar. Only occaisionally do I get a lag. I use Comcast cable and Mozilla as my browser. Often when I encounter "waiting for washingtonflyfishing", if I click the reload at the top, it will cycle right away, but not always.

I bought 2 hats, do I need to buy more...?
  19. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    I'm hitting the forum and general setup pretty hard to ease up on the proc. So far the easy stuff is working but we'll see. (implimented at 2:30PM 3/23) The next and likely bigger hit item will be, after upgrading the forum software, migrating the datastore items currently kept in the database to memory cache. I'm hoping that to be my huckleberry.
  20. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,617 / 0
    I don't even worry about the lag anymore. I have dial-up and I think it is going backwards it is so slow. I just play a game until what ever I'm aiming for shows up. I can't play videos and some pictures take up to five minutes to load. It's wonderful loving in a third world country.

I could go on and on but why bore you all. I just live with it.

Jim