35 1/4 x 22 Kenai Rainbow

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by longstick, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Charlie Erdman In search of steel

K. Falls, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    great fish. I am sure hours and hours were put in for a fish like that, so I am glad all your time paid off. Nice work
  2. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Steelhead in that system are few and far in between also they tend to be skinny, that fish is a pig, probably a lake run fish that comes out in the fall to eat and thats it.
  3. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    That AK bow chomps any Washington Steelhead!
  4. Klickman Fisherman

Anchorage AK
    Wow what a fish and then to see it again. Pretty dang cool. You obviously took good care during the picture session and on the release. THere are some hogs getting caught this year and I'm stuck in ANC, life isn't fair. Thanks for sharing

KLICKMAN
  5. longstick Member

North West
    Klickman, the seasons ending early this year. The trout are heading to the lake faster then ever and the seals are not helping out. You better get out there.
  6. Crump Member

Grants Pass, OR
    Excellent fish for sure. I was wondering about where a guy can find that brand/style of measuring board? I am using a v - shaped wooden version and yours looks like it would be a lot nicer to use.
  7. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    holy shyte, what a sea monster.
  8. longstick Member

North West
    The board came out of the greatlakes area and is so sweet, but the no longer make them. I have see metal one at sportco that look pretty nice. I like the white board because it floats and has a back stop. They are called DUNWRIGHT Board, I think. I will call some buddies i Ak and see if the have any left in a secret stash at there shop.
  9. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +723 / 1
    An absolute knee-knocker! Perhaps that old boy could serve as the poster child for the "No Pebble Mine" fight....Thanks for sharing:thumb:
  10. Klickman Fisherman

Anchorage AK
    Thats what I heard. That sucks. Between moose hunting and honey do's my fall seaon on the Kenai has been a little disapointing. I'll be down there next weekend for sure. The seals were bad during king season and they are just getting worse. Pretty soon they'll be in the upper river. :beathead::beathead:

KLICKMAN
  11. Holly Glen Member

Renton, WA
    OMG!

I know that we catch and realease and I am certainly all for that especially with a Bow who has manged to stay alive long enough to grow that huge...

But as a trained cook, and being from the great culinary state of Louisiana...I gotta say, what a damned fine dinner that fish would make! :beer1:

Please do hate me because I cook fish!

Truly a fish of a lifetime. And what a fight that must have been! WOW

Anyone know what the record on Bows might be?
  12. Arctic Grayling New Member

Seward, Alaska
    The record for rainbow/steelhead trout in Alaska is 42 pounds 3 ounces.
  13. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    No need to concern yourself over releasing a rainbow of any size, versus applying heat and teeth... They are decidedly uninspiring on the table. A good char or salmon beats rainbow every time and every way.

And none of them get into the realm of the truly good fish. Try smoked black cod, yelloweye rockfish sashimi, burbot boiled in butter, blackened rockfish or lingcod just about any way you would do a good white fish...
    art
  14. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    yea who wants to eat something that's diet has been entirely rotting salmon flesh and eggs for a few months? Anyone else ever open up a merganser? Yuck
  15. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    That fish is one mind-boggler of a Rainbow.

Yeah, I just love fresh-caught Ling Cod, Cabezon, Black Rockfish, and Greenling. Some days, I'd even rather fish gear along the Jetty for meat, than C&R fly fish for fresh-in searun cutts.:eek:.
  16. Joseph Freeman dUMB aRKiE

Burnett Wa.
    34.25 x 22(girth beforethe dorsal fin)x 22(approx. girth behind the doral fin) divided by 700 = 24.4 lbs., thas a big bow!
  17. longstick Member

North West
    35.25 not 34.25 every inch counts
  18. Holly Glen Member

Renton, WA

Well being from CO of late I would give the Bow a try on my grill! ;) Thanks for the tips on PNW fish, I love all the Salmons up here, I lived in BC for a while 20 years ago and ate mostly Salmon and veggies from my garden. I really need to live in the woods!
  19. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    Good salmon and veggies go far... We put 70 red salmon in the freezer one day this summer. Will tide us over 'til spring. ;)
  20. paintdog unguided with no direction

seattle, wa
    Wow! Very Nice!