Absence of Silvers -

There was a post back in mid-February about the absence of resident silvers in the south sound. I am wondering if anyone has had sightings now that it is almost a month later. In the places that I usually target SRC's and pick up a lot of silvers over the past four years I have not hooked a resident silver all winter. Just wanted to see if there was any sights. I will be heading out all day on Saturday and will report shortly after returning.

Ringlee

Doesn't care how you fish Moderator
Still haven't seen the schools that frequents my backyard. I have scouted all winter and saw one school at thanksgiving. I feel more confident Steelhead fishing than going out for Silvers right now...

I would have to agree that it has been a slow winter, I just don't have the answers as to why. I haunt about 10 spots regularly, and the only "productive" spot has been west narrows. The stronger the current rip the better, and I usually fish the switch on an incoming tide. That said, it is still a lot of fishing and not much catching. I will be out this weekend and will post a report.

miyawaki

I was at a Puget Sound Recreational Fishing Enhancement meeting last night where the current resident silver situation was discussed.

It's not going well due to a number of factors, food being number one.

The numbers are not there, consider yourselves fortunate to run into those you are seeing.

Leland.

At the Wednesday meeting of the Puget Sound Recreational Enhancement Oversight Committee the news on the WDFW resident coho salmon program was as Leland stated, bleak. The changes in South Puget Sound available feed is not taking care of the fish being released, surivival rates are very low. A litany of problems are woven through the program. WDFW biologists are working on the problems but a near-term cure is not on the horizon.
We will keep members of WFF apprised of any information we come up with.
Keep the faith,
Les Johnson

Well I am heading out in about 30 minutes to get out on the water. I will post a report tonight. I doubt I will see a signal silver, but I hope to get some blackmouth and giant SRC's.

Smalma

Just second what Les and Leland have been saying:

The available information is that survival of the south Sound coho has been extremely low for sometime. As one moves northward the survival improves some. While it is not known what the underlying cause(s) of the this poor survival is there is little question that forage conditions in the sound are different than what they had been. Is that because continued degradation of the Sound's habitat or part of a cyclic process or global warming? Who knows? Most likely some sort of combination.

However the whole situation begs for the question to be asked. How does the large hatchery releases of salmon in South Sound play in this poor survival of the juvenile salmon in the area? Are the increased numbers of fish (including those from delayed releases) in the area over taxing the food web or some other factor?

Just something to think about.

Tight lines
Curt

I like catching rezzies as much as anyone, but....

If there is a lack of food source in the Sound, it seems to me that native fish populations, including cutthroat, should take priority over hatchery resident silvers. I wonder if the release program really does more damage than good?

Tom

Well, hit the Canal and got two residents silvers. Though between my friend Aaron and I we probably landed 20 SRC's. Aaron landed his biggest SRC, which measured 18 inches. My biggest was 16.5 inches. The majority of the cutts were 12 to 14 inches.

rotato

there has been a lack of food but yesterday fished a beach with a large school of herring
everyone was getting into the act
birds sea lions rezzies
the salmon would slash thru and many fish would go airborne
nice to see though
today nada