37 year old Lake trout caught in Utah!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Luke77, Nov 19, 2009.

1. *pulled from another board

I thought this was very interesting. Makes you wonder how old fish can really get...

[​IMG]
    Jacob Brewer, of Layton, caught this lake trout while fishing at Bear Lake in northern Utah in early November. The fish had a tag, so Brewer contacted the state with the information and found out the trout was more than 35 years old. Brewer released the fish. (Courtesy of Jacob Brewer)

Read the entire story here:
    http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13815519

2. It also shows how slow their growth rates can be. I saw some photos of lake trout from an alpine lake in Jasper National Park that were less than 12" long, but over 20 years old.

3. Hell, I looked in the mirror this morning and I saw an old man. Man was he ever grouchy. He had to get up and take the dog to the groomers. And he likes his sleep.

4. That thing is tiny...for its age. I wonder if its just like when humans get old and they slowly start to get smaller after a certain point. This thing is probably the equivalent of a 130 yr old man. Pretty cool to see a fish that can reach that age though.

5. "Makes you wonder how old fish can really get..."

Yelloweye rockfish over 80 are routinely caught. I want to say the record for them is about 130.

6. i wonder what the concentration of environmental contaminants(Hg, Pb, PCBs, etc) is in a 37 year old predator after all that bioaccumulation.

7. When I saw a show on Geoducks and learned that they
    could reach over 60 years old...thats when I quit eating
    them. Just doesn't seem right to eat something that old.

Dave

8. Caught a couple geoducks back in day during summer camp one morning with all the fellas in my small group. We pulled out two, pretty fun digging down fast to catch them. That night when we were about to cook them up we read up that it was Red Tide in the area and did not even get a chance at the GD's. Knowing that they get that old i feel terrible now...

9. When I saw what a Geoduck looked like I decided not to start eating them.

"Not that there is anything wrong with that"

Don't forget about sturgeon, The big ones are even older than OMJ.

10. Yea Sturgeon are very very old. Look up growth rates on the internet. 30-40 years to become a "keeper". I have heard that grayling are very very old as well.

11. If it looks like a clam over twenty years old I won't be eating it anymore

12. ahahahaahaahhahh...............ahhahaahhahahhhah Maybe my mind is just in the wrong place....or maybe the right place, not sure. But i know i did find this very funny! :rofl:

13. It's more of a miracle that the state could actually find their records that far back.

14. When did they start tagging them? Guess I'm missing something :p