Top water sand lance action

Starting the first part of May, resident coho and sea-run cutthroat have really started to "key into" a floating sand lance pattern. Before that juvenile sand lance were not readily available and the fish didn't show much interest in a skated sand lance pattern. Each week the top water action has been getting better and better as they are finally starting to slam the floating sand lance pattern. The top water action should be excellent from now until early Fall like previous years in particular for sea-run cutthroat. Presently, the sand lance have been in 2 1/2 to 3"(measured) size range. By late Summer/early Fall the sand lance will be in the 4" size range.

Presently, I am using a 3" floating sand lance pattern and will be switch to a 4" length size later in the Summer. Last week I landed a 18-19" sea-run cutthroat on the 3" pattern. From now until early Fall, I will be using a floating sand lance pattern probably more than 90% of the time while fly fishing on Puget Sound. Top water action is too addictive and exciting particularly in the Summer for sea-run cutthroat and adult coho.

Roger

Good to know Roger. I finally got the recipe for the FT sand lance (in Les' new book), and hope to tie up a few tonight to use this weekend. I hope to catch my first SRC on a surface fly soon!

Richard E

I saw Roger at the Orvis event in early May; what a gentleman! We talked some about his FT sand lance and his sequin tube clouser; he even gave me one of each and their respective tying instructions to take home! I was one happy fly fishing guy.

Thanks so much, Roger, for the flies and instruction you shared with me, as well as the knowledge and information you pass on to others here on this website. :)

miyawaki

Hey Roger,

If you'd like to demo your flies again, I'd love to have you do it at the book-signing party on June 4. Anytime from 4:00PM to 8:00PM.

Leland.

Leland:

I would be glad do another demonstration on how to tie the F.T.(floating tube) Sand Lance pattern and if there is interest the S.T.(sequin tube) clouser Minnow. I should be able to have 10 or 15 flies of each pattern to give out along with tying instruction handouts.

I have a couple of hours of dental work to be done in the morning but should be feeling okay in the afternoon although my mouth might be a little sore. I'll try to get there by 3PM or sooner. Looking foreward to the event and getting a book signed by Les.

Roger

Your book, which you should have in hand by then (I expect them to leave Portland on Monday) will be signed by all three authors. Save me a couple of your flies. Also, do you still use the floating sand lance that was in the cutthroat book?
Cheers,
Les

Dinker:

I have modified the materials used to tie the F.T. Sand Lance pattern in the past year. For the tail, I use artic fox(olive and white) unstead of darlon and pearl Firefly unstead of pearl Krystal Flash under the white tail. It is best to use 4mm thick foam strips(1 1/4" long x 1/4" wide)(Larvaelace.com) over the top of the tube. However, 2mm strips(craft stores) can be be used but needs to be double folded to get 4mm of foams over the top of the tube.

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Roger

Les:

I quit using the S.S. Candlefish(in your sea-run cutthroat book) once I starting tying the F.T. Sand Lance pattern. The S.S. Candlefish is a real "clunker" in comparison since the F.T. sand Lance skates so nicely on the water surface!

Roger

I tied up a few of those clunkers and found them pretty darned efffective around the Queen Charlottes. Of course salmon in those offshore waters really inhale flies.
Les

Richard E

Dinker:

I have modified the materials used to tie the F.T. Sand Lance pattern in the past year. For the tail, I use artic fox(olive and white) unstead of darlon and pearl Firefly unstead of pearl Krystal Flash under the white tail. It is best to use 4mm thick foam strips(1 1/4" long x 1/4" wide)(Larvaelace.com) over the top of the tube. However, 2mm strips(craft stores) can be be used but needs to be double folded to get 4mm of foams over the top of the tube.

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Roger
Roger, where could I pick up olive arctic fox? I have some white, but need some olive and other colors . . .

Thanks!

Dear Roger,

If its not too much trouble, could you please post your most recent recipe for your F.T. Sand Lance pattern. I've been playing your pattern on Waddington shanks, just because I'm not into tubes (yet). This might push me over the edge. In all honesty, I do place a little piece of clear tubing in front of the shank, with front end cut at a 45 degree angle for the sequin. I know a long way to go and I should most likely move to tying on a tube, but this method does work pretty well for me.

Thanks

Richard:

I order artic fox tail from Waters West in Port Angeles(360) 417-0937 or on-line(info@waterswest.com) IMHO dark olive is a better color than plain olive. The on-line website has photos of all their colors. Great prices(full tail probably $18 also sell 1/4 and 1/2 tails) and great service(2-3 day delivery). Steve Rohrbach tipped me off about them.

Slippery Whippet:

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a step-by-step write-up on how to tie the F.T. Sand Lance patern and materials list. There is photo of the pattern in Les Johnson's new book: Fly Fishing For Pacific Salmon II.

Tying the pattern as a tube fly will enable it to float and skate a lot better than tied on a shank hook. A sequin is not needed when tied as a tube pattern. Plus a tube pattern is much easier on fish since a small hook(Gamakatsu SC-15) can be used which will cause less harm to them. If a fish is hooked in it's gills, the fly pattern can be sled up the leader which is then cut near the hook eye only leaving a small hook(nickel plated) which will rust out quickly. Plus these small diameter hooks allow the pattern to float better.

Roger

Is there anywhere I could purchase a few of these flies? If not this particular pattern, are there any other good sand lance patterns I should look for, and where should I look? As of right now I am not yet tying my own (though I'd like to one of these days).

miyawaki

Is there anywhere I could purchase a few of these flies? If not this particular pattern, are there any other good sand lance patterns I should look for, and where should I look? As of right now I am not yet tying my own (though I'd like to one of these days).
I see that you live in Sammamish. Roger will be tying his Floating Sand Lance at the shop Wednesday from 4PM to 8PM. Les Johnson and Bruce Ferguson and Pat Trotter will also be here signing their new book, "Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II." Come by, have some bubbly, and coax a fly out of Roger as well as all the info you could possibly need.

Leland.