3 WT Rod?

Bodhi

I checked out the search function but a lot the information I’m looking for is either scattered or just not there.

What (rod & reel) would you guys recommend for a 3 wt set up? Maybe give two suggestions, one for the value buy and another if cost wasn’t an issue.

Thanks

John Hicks

Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits
Rods: Value= St Croix Avid Great rod able to throw a dry dropper well and still able to feel a six inch fish.

Expensive= Find Sage SLT on ebay. They are great rods with enough back bone to cast double nymph rigs.

Reels: Value= Ross flystart
Expensive= well there isn't really a need for a good drag on a 3wt so cost is going to be purely for aesthetics. So with that being said going out and finding a hardy flyweight would be great.

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
Since most folks use 3wts to target smallish trout on smallish water, I see no need to buy one with a fast action. After all, it's not like you're gonna be using it on big rivers in high wind to pitch huge streamers.

I'd avoid buying a cheap new rod and echo John's suggestion about buying a good quality used rod from eBay or the classified here. If you stick with the sport, you'll most likely outgrow a cheap rod soon, meaning that the money you spent on it was probably wasted. You missed out on a terrific unused Sage 389-5 SP that one of the members here just sold a couple days ago for $325 - a steal compared with its new price of over $500.

If $300 is a bit over your budget, I'd still look for a Sage 3wt like a VPS, SLT, Launch or FLi. There's a number on eBay right now including this Launch for $107 with less than a day left: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sage-3wt-Fly-Fi...ryZ23819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, there's no need to spend a lot on a 3wt reel with a fancy disc drag. All it's gonna do on a 3wt is hold line. Again I'd look for a used reel like an Orvis BBS (Battenkill Bar Stock) or a Ross Colorado, both in fairly small sizes.

Hope this helps,

K

I bought a lovely little 3 wt Echo 2 (five section w/extra tip) about 6 weeks ago and love it. Never fished anything so light and small before - 7' 8" and combined with a Loomis Venture III and Rio DT line it makes a great combo & super easy to roll & sidearm cast. Want to get an extra spool for 4 wt WF line soon as I hear tell that's a good combo as well.

First baptism caught 4 little cutts on the Little Deschutes near McKenna and then a month later hooked 3 more on the Cedar and 2 on the Green in far less than ideal water conditions.

Been using my 5 wt lately thinking I might hook into a steelie on the Green but no luck so will start using the 3 wt again....besides what good would it do to hook into a steelie with a 5x-6x tippet and 3x leader? bawling: It'd be a rush for about 2.135 milliseconds!:clown:

jcnewbie

miyawaki

There's the low end and the high end but there's also the best end. I would recommend the Orvis full flex Superfine rods. We have a 7 1/2' 3wt 4-piece rod for $495 and a BBS reel for $89. Put a double taper line on and you won't get too much better.

Leland.

I would budget based upon how often you intend to use the rod. I have some nice rods, like a Sage XP and a Winston BIIX. Both are rods that I use a lot. I wanted a 3 weight, but knew I wouldn't use it real often. I went with a TFO Pro 8'6" 3 weight. It is a lovely dry fly rod and has landed fish up to 18". I owned a St. Croix 3 weight, but it was only 7' 6", which made it great for tiny creeks, but the length made mending very difficult on even smallish rivers.

If money was a factor... find a used Scott G and a Ross flywater reel.

Not a factor..... Scott G2 and a Ross Evolution. The Scott G2 is about 10% nicer than the old G. Either are really fun to cast.

Philster

I have a 7.5 foot diamondback fiberglass 3 wt that's an absolute blast on small water. Outrageous rollcaster with a triangle taper and dries... Very reasonable.

Philster

There's the low end and the high end but there's also the best end. I would recommend the Orvis full flex Superfine rods. We have a 7 1/2' 3wt 4-piece rod for $495 and a BBS reel for $89. Put a double taper line on and you won't get too much better.

Leland.
Ha! I worked with a former Orvis rod designer. He pretty much said that the short superfines were the best rods going. He had a negative opinion of Orvis 9 foot rods, which I'm guessing had a lot to do with the fact that he had nothing to do with the design:p, but even after leaving he couldn't say anything negative about what he used to call those "beaverkill rods".

Porter

Many choices out there and so few bad choices these days.

Two I would recommend thinking about that are no longer in production but damn good rods for the mission of a three weight. Going a little old school now, the Sage DS or DS2 would be a sweet lowish $ end rod and the Sage LL series, a little more hit on the wallet ...:) :thumb:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Hows about a TFO finesse rod. 7'9". $179.00 and it is using a Martin reel,$29.95 on it with Cortland peach line $48.00. All in the 3wt class.

Jim

Ed Call

I bought a lovely little 3 wt Echo 2 (five section w/extra tip) about 6 weeks ago and love it. Never fished anything so light and small before - 7' 8" and combined with a Loomis Venture III and Rio DT line it makes a great combo & super easy to roll & sidearm cast. Want to get an extra spool for 4 wt WF line soon as I hear tell that's a good combo as well.

jcnewbie
I got the same Echo 2 rod in 3wt. In my inexpeirenced hands it felt better that a similarly sized (length and weight) Sage Launch and TFO Professional. They were all in the same price ballpark, I liked the echo the best. I have a simple and very inexpensive Okuma Sierra reel for it with a spare spool. SA Sharkskin WF3F on one and a DT3 on the spare. I tried a 4wt and it did not cast well for me at all. For the situations when I might want a 3wt I feel like I have a very good setup for my needs and talent.