Sand lance pattern: Varying your retrieve?

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
Dylan,

Thanks for the suggestions, I've also had success with the purple, pink, olive (but not on a really big coho yet). Very interesting suggestion about the pile worm, I need to try that. I hope to see you on the beach someday.

Tim

Steve Rohrbach

Puget Sound Fly Fisher
Dylan, great to have you on the board buddy. I pulled out my flat wings this weekend and am inspired to tie some on tubes. With the smaller micro tubes it think it will offer a good tying platform and still allow use of the SC15. Look forward to having you put up some photos. See you on the Sound.

d. rose

Live to fish, fish to live.
Steve,

Flatwing Fever is in effect!

Is was good seeing you at the show, I'm sorry we didn't get to hang out more. I'll be road tripping until Nov. then let's fish! On my way to Kodiak. Take care.

D

... and have even received strikes reeling in the line quickly
I've had this happen twice on what would have been my last cast after outings of not getting a single tug, both fresh and salt. Spent 2 hours both times over-thinking retrieves and then that's how I pick up fish. Great to not get skunked, but head-buttingly frustrating just the same.

I've had this happen twice on what would have been my last cast after outings of not getting a single tug, both fresh and salt. Spent 2 hours both times over-thinking retrieves and then that's how I pick up fish. Great to not get skunked, but head-buttingly frustrating just the same.
I have hooked up fish quite often when reeling in. The craziest one was landing a 9 lb. blackmouth when I was reeling in before heading back to the boat ramp on a bright summer afternoon in 10 to 12 feet of water. It is a nice surprise to get lucky once in a while!

Roger

Here are a couple of mine. The first one is almost 4" long. The second about 2" and the third about 3".

I also did a few downsized "Eel Punts" similar to those shown in the Ken Abrams book that turned out well.

Kelvin has a bunch of nice ones too.

I don't have the resources for tying tubes... yet. (I have a few other purchases to make first...) Would you recommend using trailing stinger hooks to prevent short strikes? Or would it just foul with the wing? Any suggestions from folks with experience?