3wt in a mild to stiff breeze

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by crazywednesday, Dec 23, 2008.

1. crazywednesday

crazywednesday Member

I plan on building/buying a backup rod in the fast action 3wt category. This rod is not incase my main one breaks, but incase the wind starts to pick up. My question is this, which would you prefer to toss in the wind, an 8ft or 9ft rod? Please do not give me the 8'6" category. I am not much for compromise.

Thank you for your opinion/advice.
    Justin

2. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

I 389LL Sage is the finest 3wt I have fished. While it is fishable in some winds anything I would describe as close to a stiff wind would not be any fun.

3. crazywednesday

crazywednesday Member

Would you consider that blank as fast as a z-axis? Would you like the rod to be longer, shorter, or no change for breezy conditions? I guess I am trying to get at what is better for casting with wind, long or short?

Justin

4. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    A 6 wt is better to cast in the wind.

5. crazywednesday

crazywednesday Member

I am casting to small alpine cutthroat in Wa. I have a 5wt that does the job but am looking to cast a lighter wt line. What I am really looking for is casting differences in length for breezy/windy conditions. Which is better for breezy/windy conditions, a longer rod or shorter rod?

Justin

6. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I certainly am no expert but a longer rod would seem to generate more power, thus making it better at cutting the wind. If I am wrong, then I'm sure someone will correct me, and then I will be better for the knowledge. An 8 foot would have less action than the same rod in a 9 foot, so basing the decision on a particular model rod would be difficult to do unless you actually test cast in each length. Not that this is of much use since you're talking about a 3 wt, but I have a 9 foot 4 wt Z-Axis, and it casts in the wind quite well. I only bring out my 6 wt when the wind is really blowing.

7. MauiJim

MauiJim ka lawai'a

Media:
    You'll feel the longer 9' length in the wind-- ever cast a 10' 5wt vs a 9' 5wt? The differences are remarkable.

If you're building a 3wt as a lighter cuttie rod compared to your 5wt (which I assume is 9'), build an 8-footer. It really makes the rod feel like a smaller-water tool, and a fast action will ensure it'll do the job you're building it for. I had a 8'9" 3wt and an 8' 4wt; guess which one I fished more on small water?

**edit- I noticed you mentioned alpine cutties-- is this for lakes? I still like the 8' idea, it'll make your 5 seem less redundant.

8. crazywednesday

crazywednesday Member

Thanks for your help Itchy Dog and MauiJim,

I think I should clarify a few things. I used a 5wt yellowstone last year, and although I had an amazing time (80+ trout in a single day) I have decided to go with a lighter rod. I recently bought a custom 0wt TXL. Wow, I cant believe how great this is going to be. My concern is that I will have a hard time casting if it gets windy in this alpine lake, which it does in late afternoon. Now I can always bring my 5wt, which I just might. <Big> but, I have an itch to build a fast action 3wt for breezy/windy conditions (these fish are not huge). Would a shorter rod be better for this or a longer one? 6' is about the shortest and 9' is about the longest for 3wt blank that I can find.

Justin

sorry about the font change dont know what happened

9. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    I'm no expert but a 3wt isnt a rod I would choose to cast into much wind no matter the blank. I would definatly go with a heavier rod say maybe a 4wt. Also I would go with the 9' rod unless you will be using the rod for smaller creeks, then I would go with the 8'.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

For a long time I fished a 3wt almost exclusively. They can cut through moderate wind pretty good, in my experience.

I'm not sure what the answer to the rod length question is though. I've built 2 rods in a 3wt and both are 7' and under. The first, a 6'6" built on a St Croix, SC3 moderate action blank. It can cast double nymph rigs with shot and indicator, buggers (not too heavy) and rips for dry-flies. The other is a 7' Lamiglas, fiberglass blank... This rod CANNOT cast into the wind, at all. The thing flexes down into the cork. No joke. It's really fun for small flies for small fish on small creeks though.

If it was me, I'd go for and 8'. It will allow you easier access to small creeks and tight spots, which is what 3wt's are all about.

As long as the wind isn't crazy, you should be fine casting if the wind picks up a bit.

-Jeff

11. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    You can always cast shorter with a longer rod, but you can cast longer with a shorter one...

12. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I built my 9' 3wt & use it a lot, however when the wind blows, I step-up to a 5 or 6 when I want to continue fishing.

13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Your ease of casting into a stiff wind will depend far more on the rod taper/stiffness than length. But generally, I like shorter stiffer rods in wind than long rods.

14. crazywednesday

crazywednesday Member

Thank you for everyones input! I have found the info that I was looking for.

Justin

15. leadoverdistance

leadoverdistance New Member

One more suggestion.... A Loop Opti line on a Sage XP 3 weight 8 footer is spectacular. The Opti line made all the difference. It was three times better than the Rio Grand line!:beer1:

16. longstick

longstick Member

I would fish a 3wt 8' and load it if it is a fast action with a 4wt line.

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have a spare spool with a 4wt that I'll use in light winds with pretty good casting control. If it blows more than that I'll also step up the 4 or 5wt.

18. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    pretty funny-I have a 7' 3wt I built for small stream dryfly work and midging,
    and an 8'6" 3wt I built for wind. The 8'6" "compromise" :D kicks ass in the wind at Rocky Ford and other windy, technical spots, and is a decent small-stream rod too. It's built from an inexpensive Cabela's FT kit, and I like it over some more expensive sticks I've cast and owned.

I think the most important point was already made though- line choice will be a huge determiner of performance in wind, though some sacrifice in delicacy of presentation is the tradeoff required.

19. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I built a ST Croix 9' 3wt SCIV fast action 2pc eight years ago. It is one of my favorite rods. I fish emergers, 2 chironomids with an indicator, type 2 sink all with no problems casting. I also built the 4wt same blank and there's not much difference in them. As far as casting in the wind....that just sucks!!