3wt line recommendations??!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by die_ziege, Mar 10, 2003.

1. die_ziege

die_ziege New Member

Ok, so I just made my single biggest fishin' related purchase so far(a good quality 3 weight rod, Winston Ibis) and am looking to get some input as to what brand of line to get for it.
    I fish primarily moving water, and pretty small moving water at that. Will probably use this rod for dry fly fishing almost exclusively. So I'm looking at either a DT or a Wulff TT. Some info seems to lean toward the TT not being particularly good for 5wts and below... Any thoughts? Considering SA Mastery, Cortland, Lee Wulff, Airflo, Rio, Wonderline etc...
    Thanks for any input...

Ian

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

If I was just going to fish small streams I would get a DT as you are not looking for distance but presentation(god what a big word). I have a 9'4wt and a 7'6" 4wt. The long one is a DT and the short one is WF. I prefer the DT as it lays out better.

Jim

3. Big Ben

Big Ben Guest

This is gonna sound funny but here goes. Anyone who ones just a simple Cortland 333 WF3 knows that this is just an incredible line for the money. I fish a 3wt on a 7'6" for bluegills, small trout streams, and to teach newbies how to cast. The line lasts forever and creates a beautiful loop. At this light weight I really don't think there's much difference between the "High class" and "upper middle" or WF or DT. You are only casting 25' at the most, usually MUCH less! Just my wallet and 2 cents. Keep it clean and save some money! :professor

4. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
    As far as brand, DO NOT get Cortland 555 it floats incredibly high, and shoots GREAT normally, BUT.... in weather cooler than 40 degrees it has HORRIBLE coiling tendencies, and memory. The new wonderline is (what I've heard) SA mastery line (great line) with orvis' new fancy coating that is supposed to be the slickest in the biz... I have not used it but heard good things. I am using the 444 on my 7'6 4wt and have no complaints!

Keep us posted!

~B

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

You're about a year too late on stopping me from getting it. If you use it alot it doesn't seem to coil up at cold temp's. I know that you have to stretch it before use when the weather cools down But it casts real well and like you say it floats high. But back to the other questions about 3wt's. If you only casts short distances a DT is the way to go. If one side wears out just go end to end instead of buying a new one.

Jim

6. therealist

therealist PNW

Home Page:
    I would look into the Airflo River and Stream. Airflo has a 5 year non crack guarantee, is a weight forward line, shoots through the guides very smoothly, is a fairly neutral color, and casts great on the IBIS, a slightly faster action 3 weight than most on the market.

7. wrench

wrench Member

I have an old Redington 9'3wt, pretty soft sweeet rod, I use a 2/3 tt on it. Really works well, maybe a a bit more tip sink than some lines. At the same time, I have a 333 DT#3 line on another spool, as you would imagine it loads the rod a bit faster and seems to overload it when trying long casts, I got it for when my TT wears out, so don't hardly use it. I would think that a faster rod may not like the TT as well, just MHO.

8. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Orvis made a spring creek double taper for several years, dark gray and with extended tapers, sizes 1-6. It's a perfect fit for Silver Creek, Rocky Ford, and similar streams. But I just checked and it's disappeared from the Orvis catalog. Watch for it at closeout prices in one of their quarterly newsletter/catalogs.