3wt or 4wt for Snoqualmie and small creeks/rivers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Driften, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Driften

Driften New Member

I have been doing a lot of searching and reading of the group here. I am new to fly fishing and need help on picking a rod. For the near term I plan on fishing the forks of the Snoqualmie. I will be looking to progress to other creeks and small streams. I care more about accuracy and presentation then casting for distance. To me that means a non-fast rod.

From reading the posts here about "best rod for creeks and streams" and best under $200 type of threads. I am thinking of a 3wt 8'6" Sage Launch or the 4wt 9'. I need a 4pc rod to make it easy to put in my trunk.
    I have seen listed at mrfc on clearnce VPS Light 379-3,389-3 for $80 more then the Launch. People here seem to rave about the LL based tapers.

What reel and line would be best for the rod (on a budget that is)?

FYI I am taking a fly class in a few weeks with a buddy but I really want to learn on my gear so that what I learn is being applied to what I own.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
    Issaquah, WA

2. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would go with a TFO Professional series 3 wt 8' 6". I have one and love it. If you shop around you might be able to find it under $100. It usually sells for around $140. As for the reel, you dont need a special 3 wt reel if you get the 8' 6" version. I just have a Okuma Sierra 4/5 and it works great. Its pretty cheap, about $40. As for the line, the cortland 444 lines always have great reviews. Anything in the $30-$50 price range shhould be good.

3. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    I have a Echo 3wt that i love on small creeks. The action is kind of slow but it turns over light tippets like easy money.
    Skeels

4. FishBoyNB

FishBoyNB New Member

I have the 3 wt Launch and really enjoy it. I fish the S. Fork about 4-5 times a week and it is perfect. I have a Ross Cimarron 2, which is meant for a 4-5 weight, but it works fine with the 3 wt. St. Croix makes a nice 3 wt as well.

5. Dan Massaro

Dan Massaro Member

Media:
    I have a launch as well, its just awesome for the price. I would suggest a orvis battenkill mid-arbor or bar-stock reel. I have the mid-arbor and its served me well.
    Just out of curiousity are taking lessons at Creekside?

6. Driften

Driften New Member

There seems to be a mix of opinions on the TFO Pro on these forums from my searching. (Not that there is not mixed opinions here about the Launch and Echo) Also it seems the TFO Pro is a little faster then the Launch? Also I don't mind spending a little more to support a local company like Sage or Echo.

Part of my problem I can't just go cast the diffrent options. I really don't know what I am doing yet :(

It seems that I need to make the most educated guess and learn on my choice. Actually from what I have read here its hard to go wrong with Sage, TFO, Echo, Scott, Orvis, etc in this price range for a good rod.

So 3wt 8'6" would be the best in general for the S. Fork and simular types of fishing?

7. FishBoyNB

FishBoyNB New Member

Creekside will let you cast any of the rods they have for sale.

8. Driften

Driften New Member

I have seen the battenkill listed a lot here as being a good reel...

Actually my buddy and I are signed up with Emerald Water Anglers for a two day fly class with the water part on the Snoqualmie.

I have not been in many fly shops yet. I bank right next to Creekside in Issaquah and was thinking of stopping in after work. I live maybe 1.5mi from them. I visited Orvis the other day at lunch... (walking distance from where I work in Bellevue)

9. Driften

Driften New Member

Sure..... When I have some experance that would be great.

10. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    i think you should go to All About The Fly and check out the TFO finesse series rod. you should consider a 4wt so you have a bit more stick for nymphing situations. it's not all dry fly on the MF.

also, fyi they have some nice marryat reels that are sweet.
    orvis has a sweet small battenkill large arbor on their sale table in bellevue.

jason

11. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

Media:
    A 4wt might be more versatile to handle the Yak (on non-windy days) and some lakes. Certainly if you intend to stick to waters like the forks and creeks, a 3wt should be fine.

Either way, I would recommend the Sage, although I own TFO as well and it's a fine rod.

12. Michael Brady

Michael Brady New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Any 3 or 4 wt rod you get will be a faster rod than anything else. It has alot of action, thats why you feel those smaller fish much faster.

I have a 3 wt sage fli that I have used religiously for the past year. So far, I have not found a river that it could not handle. Including the Sauk, Stilly, Naches, Green, Cedar, and MF Snoq.

13. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    The 3wt St Croix Avid series I have is sweet - at least until my son stepped on it :) Great rod which is perfect for the Cedar and the Sno forks.

'Mac

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I concur with all of these comments.

A 4 weight won't be overgunned for the Snoqualmie fishery, but it would be a whole more versatile than a 3 wieght. It would be more useful more often than the 3 wt. in other fishing locations and situations.

In some of the lighter weight rods, in the TFO series, I actually prefer the lower priced Series 1 over the Pro.

The Teeny 4 weight is a great rod; a tad bit big for the average Snoqualmie trout, but perfect for the Yakima and lakes.

To me the Avid is a little clubby, but it's a good rod.

Check out the Redington RS3's and CPS's; those are beautiful rods, nicely balanced and light with nice hardware.

15. Fly Fanatic

Fly Fanatic Bull Trout

Home Page:
    I'd reccomend checking out the 4 pc. 3 wt. 7'9" TFO Finesse. It casts like a dream and handled larger fish well on my recent MT. trip. I have it matched with a Pflueger supreme 1834, which weighs in at 3.5 oz. and Scientic angler GPX DT3F line. I'm telling you, its an amazing setup for under $250 total!

16. WPEB

WPEB member

Media:
    I agree that the avid is a little to slow for me, and I don't like fast rods. But my 6wt seems to work great for streamers with a full sink line.

The 9' 4wt launch has been a great rod for me and fished with a medalist has been a lot of fun for small fish, but can also bring in the bigger fish with little trouble. A medalist is a great reel: cheap, can handle bigger fish, and practically indestructible= my kind of reel.

17. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

Just to mix things up .... I wouldn't go with a 3 or a 4 wt.

I fish the MF a lot and I prefer a 7 ft 2 wt - but I am a gear freak and I like to have a "perfect" rod for each situation versus the "buy one that works for all situations" approach.

Just my 2 cents

18. hatchetjack

hatchetjack New Member

Greetings from North Bend!

This is my first time posting and I've lurked around here and there for a time. Nice to have so many local threads.

I thought this would be a good place to start since the South Fork is right in my back yard or more distinctly, across the street.

My 10 year old and I spend at least 4 days a week on the river, especially after dinner till dark.

Ethan, my son has been fishing with a fly rod for about 3 years and has started to come into his own this summer season. He does very well on the South Fork with a 7ft. 3 wt. It's a little short for nymphing but he manages and it really suits his size. The South Fork has been a great place for him to learn.

I find a 9ft. 4wt. works well for the South Fork especially for nymphing the pockets and deeper summer holes and I also carry a 7 ft. 3 wt. for dry flies in the evening.

If anyone is out on the South Fork in North Bend and see a dad and a kid with a Red Sox hat, That'll be Ethan and I.

BTW, the fishing slowed the last few evenings when this little cool down happened. I'm hoping the warmer weather this week will perk things up. Here's a little South Fork cutt I picked up recently.

Hatchet-

[​IMG]

19. BigDog2002

BigDog2002 Gone Fishing

3wt, or even lighter!!

I sometimes enjoy playing around in the snoqualmie, I'll admit it. I haven't yet fished the whole thing, but my exprience is it's a great little fishery for those who like to catch fish. Small, yes, but put a 3wt or lighter on them and you're in for fun. I had a 10" cutthroat rip line off my 3wt reel like it was a frickin' steelhead, hot little fish!

I use an Orvis full flex 3wt, it's great for the smaller trout, and wasn't terribly expensive. The good thing is it's capable of 17" trout as well, ask me how I know? Try the Yak up by Cle-Elum when the flows are down in the fall, great fun, but watch out for summer steelies, 3wt definitely won't handle that!

-----------
    BigDog2002

20. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I think an 8' 4wt is a bit more versatile. I busted mine last year, and replaced that with a 7' 4wt, and it just doesn't get the same distance that is sometimes needed. It handles heavier stuff ok, but I'm always a little scared of whacking my head with a beadhead. Also, the lighter your rod is, the more likely you are to miss a hookset.