3wt or 4wt for Snoqualmie and small creeks/rivers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Driften, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I will second the motion on this rod. I also have one and use it on Montana streams. The smaller sections I mean. I have it matched up with Cortland Vista reel and Rio Mainstream line. It all works like a dream. The vista reel has a drag on it for what I don't know. I don't think that I need a drag on a three wt.

Jim

2. Driften

Driften New Member

Thanks guys! You have provided me with lots of info and things to think about.

3. Nolan

Nolan New Member

I am also pretty new in fly fishing(1year) and have learned a lot by trail and error. I picked up the TFO Pro 4wt in February and love it. After buying that rod I realized I would like to get something a little smaller for those light/tight situations. So right now I am almost done building a 2wt rainshadow. I plan on using my Ross CLA 4wt(1.5?) reel and just buying a new spool for it.

Nolan

4. Driften

Driften New Member

After all your comments and debating with my self I bought a Sage Launch 386-4 and an Orvis Battenkill Barstock reel. Some day I will have several rods like some of you guys filling the closet to meet any situation and for now I have a quality rod/reel to get going on.

Thanks again for the advise.

5. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

I finally took my Christmas present out for the first time this weekend on the SF Snoqualmie and was very, very happy with it. (Life's been a little odd this year)

It is a TFO Professional Series 3Wt 7'6" 4pc. Strung with good old Cortland 444 classic DT in peach. Now, I am not an old pro at all things fly fishing, so take my advice with as many grains of salt as your dietary situation will allow.

Without a doubt, that is the best casting combination I've ever exerienced. The closest I have ever been to just thinking the fly into position on the water, Effortless.

Funny, I thought I could feel the difference between a large attractor type pattern and a small sparkle dunn on the end of my tippet. Pretty cool.

Mending was pretty good too.

I did feel a little over-gunned for the size of fish that I caught, but hey, we really don't expect to have to play a 6" fish for 20 minutes and suffer burning forearms in the process do we? ;)

DD