4 1/2' Sage B690GFLRP

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Rusty, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Well, That's what's left anyway. Second time the tip has broke just above the ferrule. I got the finished rod from McNeese's in Salem back in the early 80's(?) and they fixed it the first time, 86 maybe. Yellowstone got it the first time(Real Cold), and trying to horse a Smallie off a snag on The Chip last summer was #2.
    I called Sage and was told theres no way to match the tip(figured that), told me since it was a built from Blank rod there was no warranty(figured that). Said that if I sent it to them, and sent some shipping money, and some more money($100+?) They'd send me a whole new blank(I don't recollect the model).
    Anyway, all my rod building stuff is long gone, haven't built one in 40 years; so I'm going to pass on that. It ticks me off looking at that really nice butt section with burled maple though. Anybody Got The Tip?? SUGGESTIONS? Make into a Lamp(won't work), flyswatter(NO), walking stick,(nah), shorty pool cue(hmmm). Be nice now!

2. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    I was under the impression that Sage blanks were covered under a warranty... is it cause it's too old?

3. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Only being a smart a$$ but I heard all Sages were good for tomato stakes...

Suggestion: Check with Raptor Rod Works, 2954 Hwy 32, Suite 700, Chico, CA 95973. Tel: 530-894-2062, www.raptorrodworks.com. Jim does super work, is reasonable and may be able to get the rod back in working shape to your satisfaction. He's one of the best I know. All it will cost is a telephone call to see if he can help out.

4. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Charlie,
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a call. Doubtful though, as I've heard feedback that this rod was prone to breakage in this area of the tip, due to ferrule design. Early years of graphite design I guess. Thanks!!

5. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

So much for "lifetime warranties" I've got an old Sage 390-4 RP. Those things are so old. Most people haven't even heard of anything except the RPL's. I guess I better be extra careful with the old gal.

6. wes.faul

wes.faul New Member

Home Page:
    Try calling Sage again. Sage offers a lifetime warranty on their blanks as well as the rods. The difference is they only replace the blank section and you have to rebuild the tip (or have somebody rebuild it). If they can't replace it (they're not going to find the original mandrels and make one tip for that), they will replace the entire blank with the current comparable model. It's quite possible that Sage had a different warranty back then, though.
    If you want, send me your information and I can call Sage for you.

7. wes.faul

wes.faul New Member

Home Page:
    Let me clarify that a bit. Sage has sold 2nd quality blem blanks that did NOT have a warranty. Those blanks did not have a Sage logo on them. I don't think they had the model numbers on them, either. If they have the Sage logo, they should have a warranty. The only other exceptions I can think of is if they trace the serial number as being a demo or dealer employee discounted rod.