4/14

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Steven Green, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    Took the long half mile trip down to Salsbury Point from my house to wet the line afer work. I tied on a popper to see if I couldn't scare up any strikes from the cutthroat and also because I was trying to avoid rockfish/bullhead that seem to follow me everywhere I go. Naturally as I brought the popper back in for another cast a bullhead took the fly :beathead: I think I am carrying a curse or something. I'd love to fish down there with someone that catch anything but Bullhead sometime :thumb:

Steven

2. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    At least your catching bullhead, Ive been down to the beach the last 4 times and have landed not one. Thank god for upcoming summer steel;)

3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Salsbury Point is a great park eh? Have you tried my "Popsicle Stick" yet Steven? I beached 6 fish Sunday.

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Steven, I'll be hoping to catch the cousin of one of those bullheads (sculpin)in an hour or so.
    I was thinking...you could "go with the flow" and become the world's foremost expert on fly fishing sculpin! You know, make lemonade out of those bullhead lemons....:rofl: (just a passing thought... or maybe it was just gas:clown:)

5. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    I'll agree with at least you got a tug. I've been to the beach a few times now and nothing. I'm now trying to think of a river that is open. Good luck.
    Frank.

6. Steven Green

Media:
    I don't have the material for it. I figure the standard baitfish or attractor will do the job but it can't hurt to give it a try one of these days. Those 6 fish weren't at salsbury surely :thumb:

7. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Media:
    Larry needs to take his popsicle stick and shove it lol.

Im just kidding.....all your fancy flies and always catching fish is getting old though larry, just plain old. :)

Obviously i am jealous.

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    May have to take you guys out one of these days. My cutthroat fishing is slowing down now that lake fishing is approaching. I generally get away from them during the summer. I usually hit the outgoing tide. I'm beginning to think an outgoing tide around the 7 feet level is a good time to be on the beach. I have been using a dry line for the last 5 years, but finally got back to the wet tip and I think I am picking up more fish. I switch between the two lately. If you are fishing more shallow areas, the dry line is probably best. Just wait until Sept., Oct, Nov. and you will have a hay day. Have some of my Kilowatt Reds ready then. They really aren't working much now, although I haven't used them much lately. That darn Popsicle Stick has been working for me fairly well this Spring with a slow retrieve of 6-12". I have good luck sometimes when I put on a pattern that looks somewhat like a squid, tied with something like a pearlescent body and a cream or light peach marabou about 1/4 down from the eye, then a light pink or cream head. Also, light peach or cream marabou tail. It is a pathetic looking thing and not your fancy fly that I called the "Peaches & Cream". No fly tier would be impressed whatsoever. I'm still perfecting it a bit. You might experiment with marabou tho. Keep me posted.
    :)

9. Steven Green

Media:
    I am eager to see someone pull the cutts from my Hood Canal beaches :ray1:

Tight lines