4/27 Rufus Report - First timer

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by mukman, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mukman

mukman Old to the board

Hit the lake at about 9:30 on 4/27 due to copious amounts of wine on the evening of 4/26. Beautiful, calm - zero wind. Ran up to the shelf, and immediately got into fish. Full sink, black bead head bugger with crystal flash deep with very, very slow retrieve. Didn't manage to land the elusive 10# fatties, but day was filled with 20"-24" rather sluggish fish.

It was my first time being up there, and based upon previous reports, it sounds like the fishing was "standard", and the weather was unusually docile. I was struck by how pretty the lake was, and we were the only boat working that particular drift, so we felt as if we had the lake to ourselves. Down by the launch and the net pens, however . . . .

While all the comments regarding hatchery triploids vs. native fish are duly noted, we had a great time learning more about managing depth with a sinking line, reading structure and actually catching a lot of fish.

Looking forward to the next opportunity get over there before it turns into an oven.

2. wolverine

wolverine Member

Nice report Mukman. Did you check the water temp while you were there? The fish are really sluggish there until the temps get over 40. The last 2 times I was over the temps were 36. You were lucky with the no wind. I usually end up anchoring the toon or putting out a drift sock to slow the drift.

3. PT

PT Physhicist

What were you fishing out of? Anchored up or drifting with the current?

4. mukman

mukman Old to the board

We were drifting very slowly - parallel to the shore, but not in the main current. Too slow to troll, but it allowed us to cover more territory as we casted toward shore.

5. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

20 to 24" sluggish fish?
    I can't say I've had to many trout of any size be sluggish in Rufus.
    Sharon hooked one last summer that didn't fight real well just swam away. We had to chase it with the boat.
    We didn't get to land it, it got off right at the boat.
    Big fish, really big, 30". My comment was that we needed a bigger net.