4/7 - 4/8 report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Canoe Rider, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Canoe Rider Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    On Saturday I took the canoe out on some very flat water at Three Tree Point. fished the mid-day ebb tide from the north side of the point down to the Normandy Park creek outlet and back again. No signs whatsoever of SRC or Salmon. Saw a few flounder, crabs, and a rock fish in the shallows. Maybe I should have targeted them?

On Sunday I fish Lincoln Park from the beach. Tried the north end and the south end, also on the mid-day ebb tide, but nothing and no fish jumping.

Anyone else out there have any luck?
  2. Jon Borcherding New Member

Tacoma, WA
    Fished off a Fox Island beach from a boat on Sunday. There were several large schools of silvers. They were in a mood and were hitting everything we threw at them. Several times had 2 or 3 fish following hooked fish right up to the boat. Very aggressive! We released all the fish but some of them are getting big enough to be tempting.
    It was gorgeous weather all morning but we decided to get off the water before low tide around 3:00 PM. Turned out to be perfect timing as the weather started to turn in the afternoon and we just managed to get the boat on the trailer before the wind started.
    I had planned on going today also. Unfortunately the marine forecast put an end to those plans.bawling:
    NEAH BAY NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEHAW!!!

JonB
  3. frankrutledge Guest

Canoe,
    I've had luck at the Lincoln park, see my post I put up a few days back. I have been hitting the park a lot. I have only brought two fish to hand though. I have had several hook-ups but just the two landed. Strikes Iv'e had a ton of, they seem to be very selective and you have to have just the right thing. Bunny leeches in black and pink seem to do OK. be sure to clip the tail short. Cloousers wrok too. It really shouldn't matter if it's Carkeek (sp) park or three tree point, they seem to move a great deal from what I've been told. Take this advise if you'd like but i'm hardly the expert as I have really put some time in on some rather poor results. But since the rivers are closed and I live 2 minutes from the beach it's better than sitting on my arse.
    Tight lines.
    F.
  4. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    Over on this side I went to my favorite local spot and ran into two new flyfishermen who had come up from further south. We all had a go of it as the tide dropped, and I hooked three cutts and landed two, had a fourth that hit but didn't stick to my popper. One of the other guys, I think, more or less duplicated my results. I also got a very small silver not worth discussing. All of the cutts I landed were kind of on the slim side and about 12" - 13" but gave it their all - one went aerial four times.

One was caught and another missed on Leland's Popper - the other two stuck a generic baitfish I tied.
  5. bigfun4me Team Infidel

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    I fished the Three Tree area last week and released one 15-16" silver on a Chum Baby. I have not seen any cutts in that area since the fall. The incoming tide has usually been best for me.
  6. Canoe Rider Member

Seattle, WA
    Frank:

LP is my local stomping ground as well as it is 2 min. from my house. I try to get out once a week but usually for only 1-2 hours at a time. I have had times with great luck catching about 5 fish in an hour, then completely dead for multiple times in a row. But from what I hear that is the nature of this fishery.

One pattern I seem to notice is I'm catching when they are jumping and not when they are not. Is there a correlation?

Interesting advice on clipping the tails short. Maybe I'll try that...
  7. Dizane Coast to Coast

Bellevue, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Jumping fish=fish in the area

You can't catch fish if they aren't there.:)
  8. Canoe Rider Member

Seattle, WA
    Yes, good point. But if they are not jumping, can they still be there or do they HAVE to be jumping to annouce their presence? :confused:
  9. Dizane Coast to Coast

Bellevue, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I haven't found many (any?) black letter rules in fishing the beach.

There can still be fish at the beach if you don't see jumpers...or activity could pick up as the tide progresses. I would never leave a beach because I didn't immediately see signs of fish.

But if you gave me two beaches, one with a bunch of jumpers and the other one dead calm, I could tell you in a heartbeat which one to fish.:D
  10. Gabe Feenan New Member

seattle,wa
    In my limited experience I've noticed if there are birds working the area, I usually catch fish. If I don't see diving birds then I usually move on. I fished Ollala on tuesday at the beginning of the outgoing tide and landed two coho before I saw any jumpers. I also noticed disturbances in the water which turned out to be coho feeding on chum fry and it was very subtle.
  11. Canoe Rider Member

Seattle, WA
    What kind of birds? Diving gulls are a good sign, but what about the sea ducks and those puffin-like birds? I've read most of them dive to eat shell fish as well as baitfish so not sure if they are a reliable gauge.
  12. Gabe Feenan New Member

seattle,wa
    The duck like birds you see, Grebes, mergansers, buffleheads, pacific loon, goldeneye, etc. have been a good sign for me. If you watch them closely you can see them come up with baitfish sometimes. I'm no expert on these birds nor this fishery but I have been hitting the sound just about every monday since december and this has been a good indicator for me if there are fish present. If I see jumpers I keep switching fly's until I find what they like, sometimes it seems to be color, sometimes it's the size, or both. Hope this helps.
  13. Canoe Rider Member

Seattle, WA
    All advice helps. Thanks!
  14. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    Last time I went I hooked 3 coho and landed one, but all were on different flies. I have found that the coho aren't very selective if you can find 'em
  15. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Being an east side of the mountain kinda guy. I have wondered about fishing for cutts and or other fish off the beach. Do you guys wade, fish channels? I see some use boats or canoes, kayaks, etc.
    Sounds like a great time if you're catching bright fish.
  16. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Hey CR,

How is a canoe out in the salt?? I've been wondering about that. I have a 15' Old Towne with a trolling motor setup that I was thinking about trying out there, but I am a little nervous about the stability of a canoe with trying to fish out of it etc etc. Do you have stabilizers on your canoe or do you just go out and fish...

Thanks,

Eric

17. Canoe Rider Member

Seattle, WA
    Eric:

I basically go out and fish. Usually have a second person in the canoe as well, which works best, but have also gone solo. My rule is to go out in flat or almost flat water. I always "cancel" when it is too choppy, or just fish from shore.

Funny, I have the trolling motor set-up but only use that on lakes.

I just purchased an inflatable Sea Eagle Kayak that I will try as a possible, more stable alternative. I'll let you know how that goes...

But I think a canoe, with stabalizers, will work well.