4 cutts and 2 coho in 45 minutes

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jeff Hale, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Had a great little spurt of action yesterday in the North Puget Sound. Fished the top of the out-going for about 3 hours, and had nary a strike. But then, I hooked a coho, then a cutt, then another coho, and then 3 more cutts, with all of them being FAT and healthy. One went 16 inches; a very nice fish and a nice gift on a Sunday morning. Used an intermediate line, and a small, #8 Clouser about 1.5 inches long, and sparse. Jeff
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,521 / 9
    Great report Jeff, I'm sure that 45 minutes was well worth the 3 hour wait.
  3. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +193 / 2
  4. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    I think I need to get the boat out in the morning... checking tides and weather.

That's awesome guys, thanks for the reports. Nice to hear of a good number of returning cutts out there. I think you forgot to pm me the gps coordinates - :D
  5. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Attaboy! A buddy of mine and I hit a north beach yesterday, fishing hard from about 10 am to 5 pm, with 30-45 minutes downtime during lunch. He picked up a wee coho just before noon and anothe a few hours later. About 3 pm he caught a coho, cutt, coho, and (small) blackmouth in successive casts! I caught my only fish of the day, a 14" blackmouth, during that same time (though I was upcurrent of him probably 120 feet or so, and wasn't fishing the same rip as he).

Lots of casting practice! But, you got to keep the fly in the water in hopes a big ol' blackmouth may take a big rip on your bug . . .
  6. Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Nice Hale! I am getting stoked for big silvers on the fly. I'm crossing my fingers for a great summer. How about that pink run? Can you get them on top?
  7. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    You can get them on flies. Not sure about on surface poppers. Anyone else on here ever catch pinks on top?
  8. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have caught them on top in the Charlottes, I have not tried around here.
  9. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    dont sell out Scott. Just say no to slimers. The best part about the pink run is that most people go fish them instead of targeting silvers.
    but yes you can get them on top.
  10. CoastalCutt Member

North Bend, WA
    I wouldn't waste my time fishing on top, schools move through quick, and your best bet would be to fish them sub surface.
  11. Jason Shutt Dues past due

Close to water, but not close enough
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hale, I switched up your count today. Got 2 SRCs and 4 silvers in under an hour.

That beach has smelled like skunk for weeks, so I finally tried something new and twitched a shrimp. Fished the outgoing and rippin' tide just before and into dusk.
  12. Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

Poulsbo, WA
    Nice Shutt! Did you tie em' up? All on shrimp patterns?