4 Day Metolius Impressions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Greg Yen, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    You can make it technical with midget flies, patience, and perfect presentations or you can nymph it with tungsten beadheads and have a lot of fun, especially in the evening when the browns are cruising. Very cold at night this time of year. Very beautiful river around Camp Sherman.

Randy
  2. the central oregonian Member

Terrebonne, Oregon
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I will apologize in advance if i come off as crass or rude or a jerk etc.......But In my opinion, and of course it is only my opinion....the metolius is one of the top rivers in Oregon. Having said that, It is tougher fishing. It is technical fishing, and it is some of the best, most consistant dry fly fishing around. But these aren't your run of the mill 12" hatchery pellet eating half fish....these are native,wild,willy,rainbows....and most of the time they require a very good hatch match coupled with a very good presentation. You also have to be able to read the water well and locate the fish, they just aren't everywhere in the river, they appreciate a certain type of depth,hydrology,food sources etc and you have to locate those spots to have success. I don't fish the upper river that much anymore......(above the hatchery), mainly because i enjoy chasing the bigger bows(16+") and bull trout....leave the smaller fish for others....and don't even get me started on the bull trout.....Average size fish over 20" with plenty over 8lbs.....how great is that. You can nymph...or my fav streamer fish to these guys and its a blast. Personally i think its a great fishery, but if you only bring your c game its gonna kick your butt....and you have to locate the fish first.....I live about 40 minutes from it and fish it over 50 times a year, if any of you guys are in the area and would like to test it out shoot me a pm.....ps....its prime bull trout time right now.
  3. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    i first fished the metolius in '68. back then the hatchery truck would roll up to a stop on the allingham bridge, put the pipe over the railing and dump the load. standing below the bridge would be an army of 'fly fishermen and women' frothing the surface and killing all of those hatchery fish about as fast as they hit the water.

then the stocking stopped, the removal of fallen timber ceased, and the river started a different sort of 'come back'. the crowds of catch and kill evaporated, pools and runs started to take shape, the resident fish noticed and took up home keeping.

the 'trick' to fishing the metolius is thinking like a fish and learning just where they are likely to have set up house keeping. fishing those spots methodically with small dries is my prefered tactic. can i catch fish? sure. are they whoppers, naw. are they tough to come by? you bet. this is, afterall a spring creek and it deserves the same respect and thoughtful approach of a montana counter part.

top that with some great camp sites, a knock out setting, and a good time can be had year around. i would, however skip mid june through right now.
  4. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I fished the Met a few years ago in March and (I swear) there was an October Caddis hatch
    going on down by the hatchery. I about had a nervous breakdown trying to get a drag free
    drift to rising trout in the Met's diabolical micro currents. After hanging up my third or forth
    orange stimulator in a ponderosa pine I gave up. Upon returning to the car my wife says,
    "I don't know why you fly fish. It just seems to make you so angry." That was the last time
    I took her along fly fishing.

It wasn't all for nothing. The frustrating experience led me to John Judy's book "Slack Line
    Strategies for Fly Fishing". He lives and guides in Camp Sherman and has to deal with those
    wicked Metolius mico-currents every day. While I can't say that I mastered the Met after
    reading his book, I have had better luck there and on many other streams where a drag
    free drift is the difference between hooking rising fish and coming home empty handed.

5. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    if you have the time and interest, i might suggest you visit, october, november or december. if you haunt the river enough days in a row, you will start to recognize the 'regulars' as they come out in the afternoon to fool a fish or two, maybe not. these are the folks who live close by and have a pretty intimate knowledge of just where the fish might be, take notes.

this is not a begineers spring creek and too often folks look at it, the amazing setting and beautiful camp grounds and think it's as simple as casting some sort of fly on the water and catching dumb fish. not so by any stretch of the imagination. of course if they charged a daily entry fee ala montana spring creeks, you would more than likely hear glowing reports of the 'challenging' fishing.

this spring creek deserves time and respect to learn and be humbled before you can actually start figuring it out. i never fish bigger than 18's, don't count on finding rising fish, but i fish every spot that could possibly hold a trout with religious zeal. some days that works :)

if nothing else, it's an astounding place to visit. make sure you hike the river sections along the well worn paths both river left and right.