4 day trip where would you go?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by neophyte, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    Hey Old Man. They put this stuff on the two rut track you call roads. It's called asphalt.:)
    You can go much faster now.
  2. neophyte Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Thank you -- that's a splendid suggestion, and all I have to do now is buy the redbulls and I'm set ...
  3. neophyte Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  4. tinman207 Active Member

Ratings: +102 / 0
    And see a cardiologist to make sure your heart can handle marathon sleep deprivation and a diet of Red Bull and fly fishing adrenaline.
  5. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    I did a 7 day whirlwind trip. I went to Beda, Owyhee, Silver and Big Wood, Beaverhead, Big Hole, Yakima... it was a lot of driving. That said, it was a lot of good memories - and a blur! You have to be ok with a) driving at night b) not sleeping much c) sleeping / camping light! You have to have it worked out in terms of how you sleep and be ready to.

Re diet: eat like crap, feel like crap. Eat well, feel well. Choose healthy snacks. Keep your blood sugar up. Don't plan to hang out and cook - plan to have quick healthy stuff to eat.

Re hydration and caffeine - THIS IS IMPORTANT! I was told 1:1 ratio of coffee to water. I overdo this when in need of Monster at 1 am. I drink a lot of water - and caffeine and/or energy drink when needed. It saved my life perhaps at 2 am or whatever coming down from ID into MT towards Dillon heading North. If I hadn't been WIRED I would have hit a large and really stupid doe as she jumped out and decided to change directions twice.

I'm going to do a Fall trip into MT... last week of September I hope the weather holds. I've done what you're talking about a couple times. So, this time I'll set up a week camp somewhere central to a lot of good fishing and be more settled this time.
  6. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    You can make it from Seattle to Libby, MT in about 6-7 hours and it's arguably the best time of year for the Kootenai river. From there you also have the Yaak and the Flathead within easy reach. Drive less, fish more :cool:
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    You all that go from Seattle to Montana, Do you ever drive the Speed limit. We have speed limits in Montana but out of Stater's don't obey them. Even when I drive a little faster, I still get passed like I'm standing still.
  8. SteveA Gnu to the board

Western WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    OM...The cars driving the speed limit in the passing lane are the out of staters (WA). The cars that are passing you have MT plates...IMHO
  9. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    Speed what? Man you are getting old! :)
  10. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    OM - I know you may find it hard to remember what it was like in Washington, but our speed limit hasn't been 55 mph in at least 15 years. I'm concerned you're gonna get run off the road one of these days.
  11. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4
    I wouldn't go anywhere. I'd stay right here in MA9 and spend 4 days chasing a fat ocean coho.
    Flyborg likes this.
  12. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    I'd take the information given here and go wherever the hell I wanted to go. But, that's just me. ;)
  13. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    Stay in the right lane and don't worry about what others want to do. Pretty simple.
  14. Mountain Man Member

North Bend, WA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Or when you're thirsty but grab the wrong bottle.
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I don't worry about traffic. There is none here in Montana. I usually take a trip to the big city of Butte which is 65 miles away. I drive up I-15. If I see five cars in the 65 miles I'm lucky. Just like when I go fishing. If I see more than 5 fly fishers in 10 miles of river I feel it's getting crowded.

I left all the crime and traffic when I moved away. And I'm happy for it all.
  16. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Hard to argue this logic... and think about how much beer, chips and beer you can buy in lieu of petrol ;)
  17. Cole L Fish Fiend

Bellingham
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    If you're willing to drive to missoula, it's about 9.5 hours to get there and you have many options from there. My dad and I drove there in April last year to visit UM but all the rivers were blown out. We proceed to fish a "beaver pond" and we got a nice 20+ incher from the shore. You have rock creek, the bitterroot, blackfoot, clark fork, and the missouri river all within 45 min approximately. Get a campsite, fish two rivers a day.
  18. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    I call bullshit! We just drove from Lederhosen Land to Livingston in 9 hours of driving, a little more than 75, and got passed by every Montanan with four wheels!
  19. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    must not of had many stops along the way.
  20. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I think it's because I'm old and don't drive like I'm flying low. Plus my truck doesn't like to drive to fast. I guess that he didn't hit any construction in Montana.

Or it's I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I'm 78 so I must be senile.