NFR 4 Wt Orvis Access okay with......?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nathan B, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nathan B

Nathan B Love em and Leave em

Hey guys,

Let me first introduce myself to the group before I ask a question. My name is Nathan and live in Bellevue and work in Issaquah. I have fly fished most of my life starting in North Carolina, working my way over to The Norfolk and White rivers of North Central Arkansas and finally over to Washington state. I fish most often in the summer time on the forks of the Snoqualmie system but sometimes find my-self on the Cedar river or the Skokomish. It’s a true pleasure to be apart of such a great community such as this forum. I hope in the future I can return the favors that many of you have bestowed on me while I’ve browsed the topics and fishing reports.

My question is this….. I until recently had a Orvis Silver Label 9’ TL 5 weight mid flex 2 piece. It broke a month ago over at Rocky Ford. Since then, Orvis has replaced my rod with a 5 weight Orvis Access ( thank you Orvis!) and then allowed me to trade it in(thank you again Orvis) at the Bellevue shop for a 9’ 4 weight 4 piece mid flex. Paired with this rod now for the time being I have a Galvan Rush 5/6 weight with 5 weight SA WF shark skin line. Is there a need to change now to a 4 weight WF line or will I be okay using my old Galvan reel with my 5 weight line? Thank you in advance!

Tight lines!

Nathan

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I am not familiar with the Orvis line of rods, but let me welcome you to the forum.

There are some Bellevue Orvis folks on the forum so perhaps they will chime in.

TwistedChimp likes this.
  3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Nathan - welcome to the forum. I've tried out the access and it seem like a great rod.

I don't see anything wrong with using your current line. Give it a try and see how it works. There are standards for line weights, but not for rods, so your newer, faster rod might cast just fine with one weight heavier. If it's a GPX (half weight heavy) taper that might be a different story, and it might be too heavy.

TwistedChimp likes this.
  4. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

If your Access rod is a tip flex, overlining should be no problem. In fact, you should be able to load quickly to make short (under 30' casts) easily.

Leland.

TwistedChimp likes this.
  5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Ooops, sorry, I just reread my response and see that you have a mid-flex 4wt rod. It will still be okay just try not to make too many 90' casts.

Leland.

6. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

TwistedChimp likes this.
  7. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I could chat about the access (I have one), but not sure about the midflex. My 4wt. access makes a great small stream steelie stick.

TwistedChimp likes this.
  8. Nathan B

Nathan B Love em and Leave em

Thank you everyone!