$40 Cabelas Outfit, Free Shipping

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by golfman44, Apr 27, 2013.

1. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +601 / 0
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  2. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    This is sacrilege.
  3. Cedar Active Member

South King
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    I have a buddy that bought one of those. I cast it for two minutes. It is the worst piece of trash fly rod ever...in the history of man kind. I couldn't find one redeeming quality.
  4. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +601 / 0
    $40 is a nice quality!
  5. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +365 / 0
    Did you read the reviews on the rod?

When ever I'm looking at something to buy, I always look to see what the complaints are. Sometimes they are silly, and sometimes they are a "true review".
  6. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Great starter setup or extra rod to have on hand for taking out newbs. I have a friend new to fly fishing that hooked and landed many large E WA rainbows on that outfit two weekends ago. It casts just fine and the fish sure as heck didn't care that it cost him less than $50.00.

My elementary school age boys fish Cabela's Three Forks rods out of our canoe. They go for $60.00 on sale and I probably couldn't tell the difference between casting those and my old Sage RPL's I bought 20 years ago. Maybe I'm just a sucky caster.
  7. fisherjon Member

Oak Harbor,Washington
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I personally never liked the rod my friend who is new to fly fishing got the package and i tried it out didnt like it its great for them because there new to the sport and its not expensive even not on sale but i wouldnt give it my time of day on the rod and about the reel im not to picky on reels so as long as one functions how it should im fine so about the combo in general i would rather drive 5 mins to walmart and get the walmart special its the exact same quality
  8. Cedar Active Member

South King
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    Touche
  9. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +506 / 0
    Well, you probably get what you pay for.....the reels on these things tend to be ridiculously fragile. Bought a similar Cabelas set-up for my grandson a few years back. The plastic reel was pathetic...the catch holding the pool on crapped out on his just during his first casting practice.

The rod and line actually casted pretty well (WF 5 floating), so I got him a $40 Okuma reel...and he's now had two years of fishing with the old man.
  10. dave h New Member

tacoma wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    The reel won't last but fine to learn on. Horrible place to buy.
  11. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    I have the 8wt outfit that was given to me as a gift from my uncle. I use it for people that may be in for the weekend during the fall season and it has lived past 2 Steelhead and a Chinook. It gets the job done but at that price you should not expect you new favorite rod. So after the life that this set up has lived and the smiles that it caused could I be pissed and sad that everything Blows apart on the next fish...... nope for it did what it was intended to do. The rod will hold up but I always bring a reel that I intend to use on this rod so when this Cahill reel fails I will just switch it out and they will be back to fishing.
    flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  12. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    They also have there next set up on seal for 70$ and I did read the reviews, in fact they have a lot of there combos on sale depending on what you want to spend, They are pretty good but only 10 of them. I am looking for a rod for my kids to get started with and this looks like it will work plus remember you have 90days to take it back and no questions asked. So you can always try something out and see what you think of it. So it all depends on what you need it for and what you have to spend.