40# Mono for Shooting/Running Line?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ed Call, Jan 12, 2011.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Here's option two for you that the big guns use....Keep 10' or so of your normal running line and then loop on the mono...will give you more control of your flight but still shoot distance...

You know i'm just gibbing you...mono that stretches isn't horrible...just not that fun with this cold weather...I'd either chop my running line and add mono at the end where you don't hold the mono...or wait till it warms up...I got some different kinds that i've taken off my reels for you to try and keep if you like..pm me mumbly pegs...

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Ignorance is bliss as they say. The airflo seems awesome to me, but now I sit here and wonder about details that I've never thought of before. For example, my compact skagit head is about 25', sink tip 12', tippet 3' and I'm rocking about 20' of my ridge line. I'm reaching out there 60' and looking cool! If going to a mono or floating mono line can get me 10% more distance I'll at 6'...awesome.

It was just a bunch of questions about stuff I've not yet tried. Right now I'm more inclined to stick with what I've got (really I can shoot out most of my ridge line when I'm feeling it), it floats, manages well, easy on the hands and I just plain like the Airflo stuff. I'm curious, but not really experimental enough to sacrifice most of my time potentially fishing to see if one type of shooting line gets me three more feet of casting reach. Sometimes I'm far less serious than everyone thinks.

3. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

"Here's option two for you that the big guns use....Keep 10' or so of your normal running line and then loop on the mono" ....
    This is money!
    Thanks

4. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Good call...play with the mono when it warms up some as it's less coily...nothing is worse then having to stretch out your running line on every run....Varivas so far is the best i've tried and it floats...it's also thin and that will take some getting used to...Option two would probably be my first choice with the varivas down further...can even go from the 47 lb down to 30lb without a loop and really shoot it way the hell out there...but your fishing not casting so think you got it right!!!

when you want to go mono, let me know...

5. Ed Call

Media:
    Yellowlab is sending me some of the floating P line to try. I'll give it a whirl and go from there. Nothing wrong with my airflo ridge running line, for the record. That stuff goes as far as my casting ability deserves with reserve room to grow. Just a point of thought...like sealed drag, disc drag or click pawl.

6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Often times, the difference between mono and regular running line is more than 6'.... For one, mono is way less massive. For two it's usually thinner. I've been using 50lb SlickShooter, 30lb Amenesia, and 50lb Berkely. All of them work, but the Amenesia and SlickShooter have far less memory. After a couple of times of stretching, I've found I can just start using without a ritual of stretching. I've *never* had to re-stretch during a fishing day ever. But I do usually get it out and give it a pretty hard couple of pulls before I go out.

Try it, you may like it. Also I tend to have slippage with either mono or regular running lines at about the same rate. Usually it's because I'm trying to do something *far* too hard during my cast setup. When I start seeing that, I know it's time to think things through....

7. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

I have a lot of different brands and lb.s of super braids in the search for the best, that I use for gear fishing. One super braid brand that I think would work quite well as a shooting/running line, that I like a lot, would be Spiderwire Ultracast Ultimate Braid Hi-Vis Yellow. The Hi-Vis Yellow has been discontinued though I think, but can still be found in some lb.s, from some suppliers. Low-Vis Green is still being made. It is one of the smoothest, less abrasive super braids I've fished. I think it would be one of the more hand friendly super braids for a shooting/running line because of its smooth texture. It is not a very limp super braid or a very stiff super braid, some where in between.

50lb. is .012 dia.
    65lb. is .018 dia.
    80lb. is .000 dia.? 15lb. mono. dia.

I would think the 80lb. might be the way to go. Still plenty small enough of a diameter and a large enough diameter to handle more easily, less likely for line cuts. If I were going to try a super braid for a shooting/running line, that would be the one I would try first.

http://www.spiderwire.com/news_detail.php?id=274&o=3
    http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cf... as much, but line control is more of a plus.

8. Ed Call

Media:
    James, I was joking about the possible 6' of added casting distance. I cannot be taken seriously. I'm going to try some of this 40# mono with very low expectations and Yellowlab has sent me some of the floating P-line that I'll also try. I'll do some side by side comparison testing of my own and see what, if anything jumps out at me. If not, I'll keep rocking my airflo ridge line because honestly, it shoots way further than my talent deserves.

9. vicb

vicb New Member

Mumbles,
    Have been mostly a "lurker" for long time on this site, enjoy your posts. Know your initial question was just about using the mono, but since it has varied a bit thought I would offer the link below from the Deneki site, sort of interesting. I am new to the two handed "thang" and have been trying to do some reading up, ran into this. http://www.deneki.com/2009/07/running-line-roundup/

BTW, who is Bobo?.......

10. Ed Call

Media:
    Vicb, thanks for the kind words and link to the comparison on running lines. I'm printing it now and will read it when I'm able to keep my eyes open.

Bobo is the brother of WFF member Tedious Thumper. As the story goes, Tedious Thumper returned home with a nice big catch of the day. Brother Bobo, dressed as you've likely seen him, raised that catch up high (and probably shouted some manly conquest shout). I've not met Bobo or his brother T.Thumper but have chatted it up with them. We share common friends who are great people and therefore I'm certain that Thumper and Brother Bobo are awesome.