40+ or outbound?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Zach Sanders, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Zach Sanders

Zach Sanders member

i'm pretty sure this has come up a few times..but the search function isn't working for me right now.
    so heres my question.
    i have the echo switch rod in a 6 wt and want to get ether a 40+ or an outbound for it.
    i also dont know whether to get the line in an 8 or a 9wt.
    so looking for opinions on what would be best.
    thanks.
    (will be mainly useing this in the sound)

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have a 6wt switch with a 9wt line. Excellent combination in my opinion. I have several Airflo 40+ lines. I have several Rio Outbounds. I have one Rio Outbound Short. I prefer the Airflo 40+ for two reasons. First, the running line tangles less and shoots a bit more smoothly. Second, any repairs needed (front loop or adding a rear loop for big loop to loop with backing) the Airflo line material is much easier to weld than the Rio material. All my personal preferences, nothing factual or empirical, only subjective opinion. Both of your listed options will shoot a country mile if you aim high and let it fly. Good luck.

3. Zach Sanders

Zach Sanders member

thanks for the fast reply.
    i was kinda leaning towards the 40+ anyway because i have a couple of their ridge lines.
    i have one more question.
    i want to get an intermidiate line and am not sure if i sould get the freshwater or the saltwater version.
    the difference to me looks like the saltwater head is 5 feet shorter? would this make much of a difference?

4. rockfish

rockfish Member

I'd go with a floating line personally unless ur fishing out of a boat.

5. Ed Call

Media:
    I fish a floating and intermediate from the beach. Conditions (water chop and wind) plus presentation might make you choose one over another. A spare spool and both lines covers more situations that I come across. I'm not sure, but if the lines are the same weight and the saltwater is a shorter head then it is likely designed that way for better casting in windy conditions. All you have to do is roll cast out that head, water load it and let it fly or make one false cast with a double haul. Any more monkeying around with the line in the air has proven less successful for shooting out the line. I use them on singles and my new favorite from the beach, a switch rod. Two handed overhead casting with a water haul and launch will get a lot of line out there. If you can make your way up here we can go stomp a beach and I can let you try out some of the lines I've liked on my switch.

6. Zach Sanders

Zach Sanders member

well as much as i would love to take you up on that offer...it probably wont work out right now..
    so the only logical thing i can think of right now is that im going to have to get both, isn't that to bad.

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Hey Ed. The spey and switch rods are new for me. Why such a heavier line for your 6wt? Isn't that hard on the rod? Or is there nothing standard about line sizes as I sorta gathered at that outing at Lions Field? Would a 6 wt line work still fairly well? Thanks for any comments from anyone also. How long is your switch?

8. Ed Call

Media:
    Larry, I think that one of the helios rods Leland had was a 7wt and he had a 7wt rio outbound short. It cast pretty well when double hauling. I use my switch rod to toss a shooting head and running line using a two handed overhead casting style. I have played around with single and double speys with these heavier single handed lines and feel they work pretty decent, but this is pretty new to me. I just cast what has come to feel the best for me. I think my casting preference is best felt when using a single hand line rated 2 to 3 weights above the rating of the switch rod. This puts the grain weight of the line's head closer to the upper end of the grain window of the rods. That seems to work for me. As for stressing the rod, I'm sure it puts more stress on than underlining the rod. The line still falls within the grain window.

I know you are considering a switch rod, let me know if you want to try one of mine out. I can send you out with a rod and a couple of different lines.

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I have both lines and prefer the Outbound. I have a 6 wt on my 5 wt switch and it casts nicely. I guess it's all in what you like. Both lines are very good.

10. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I like the Outbound short for single handed rods as I will typically false cast a couple times before shooting. However if you tend to do a roll cast and then shoot line then I think the 40+ is best. As I tend to roll cast then shoot with my switch I suggest the 40+. I have a 6/7 Beulah switch and run a 8wt line on it. I run the intermediate head and pair it with an intermediate polyleader for good results.

Enough shops around the area sell the Echo switch that you should be able to get a couple good recommendations from them.

11. Craig Schulz

Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

I definately agree with Mumbles about the less tangles, I have the 40 Plus on 4 different set ups, just launch the line high and it sails! Both are great line and I would recommend a intermeditate tip as well as floater.

12. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Love the 40+, shoots like a frozen rope, LITERALLY!!! jk. Less tangles on the stiffer running line, and bombs! Numero-Uno for floating Salt lines.

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Does this line replace the SA you have for sale in the Classified? How is the 40+ different than the SA, or what were/are your issues with the SA line?

Just curious. I have both lines, and I like and dislike both or different reasons.

14. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    My 40+ is used 99% of the time on salt water beaches and flats and tend to be a more successful line than the Streamer Express. The SA Streamer Express has a unique texture to it. The line is soo slick its rediculous! The running line is nothing like the 40+, has more like a "plastic-type" feel to it and is 100X slicker.

Too bad SA doesn't make a "floater line" with the same Streamer Express qualities.

Zero issues with the SA Streamer Express, I just don't use it. To be honest I haven't caught anything on it, the 40+ floater is my go to line, caught MANY SRC and Silvers using the 40+, no sink tip needed.
    My buddy was using his Streamer Express and slayed Many upon many Pinks in the salt and especially rivers where flies need to be "slow and low".

15. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

The newer Outbounds no longer have a floating running line. The sinking runner seems to tangle much less. That being said, they are both good lines. I really like the roll casting of the Outbound.

16. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    I thought RIO fixed the tangling problem with the Outbound. Is it still a problem or are you guys using the older version?

17. Ed Call

Media:
    I have an older outbound that does tangle more. The newer outbounds that I have, including one outbound short, cast great with less tangles. When comparing the two like the OP asked, 40+ or Outbound I still prefer the 40+. I own as many outbounds as 40+ lines. I just feel like the running line for the Airflo 40+ is a bit easier to work with, tangles a bit less, comes untangled a little bit easier and both shoot very well. I think I mentioned before that the material used to make the Airflo lines reparis and welds much easier too. Two great lines, a few slight edges make me favor the Airflo 40+ with ridge running lines.

18. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    I too have both. I feel I can launch the OB (old version, intermediate) a little better but have lost a couple of really nice coho due to tangles...hot fish that went on screaming runs before I could dump line. I spend more time with the 40+ because it is a floater and more appropriate than an intermediate for the waters I fish. 40+ isn't without problems though. The coating on the running line wore away after only one year adjacent to the weld with the head (although, granted, I fish more than most). That area does get a lot of wear and tear but I'd expect it to last longer.

BTW, I matched the OB wt with my rod and go one line up with the 40+.

19. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    Even those with floating heads?

20. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

I have an older intermediate Outbound in 6 weight and don't care for it. The running line tangles too much even with stretching and it cuts fingers like a knife.

I'm not surprised Rio changed the formula as the original should have never made it out of R & D in my opinion. Still, I know it has many fans.