400 dollar budget

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by D3Smartie, Feb 28, 2005.

1. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Ok I have a 400 dollar budget to build a 10 foot 10wt two handed rod. I think I want it to be on a blank similar to a Sage RPL.
    Good warranty like sage would be nice.
    Can I use a sage blank with this budget?
    Any help is welcome. Thanks
    David
  2. Trevor New Member

Poulsbo , WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I did a quick look of several different company's blanks and a 10 foot 10 weight is tough to come by.

If a single hander 9 foot 10 weight would work, there are a ton of choices that would get you the blank and quality parts for under 400: Rainshadow RX-8, Sage VPS, American Tackle Elite, G Loomis GL3 or IMX, St. Croix SCIV.

I'll keep looking and see if i can't find something.

Trevor
  3. Trevor New Member

Poulsbo , WA
    I found a few 10' 9 weight blanks out there, but the only 10' 10 weight I found is by Graphite USA. It's a 10' 9/10 weight. The model # is F1009/10DH for $188 . I have no experience with the blank, so I can't make any recommendations. It's just the only blank I could find in your specifications.

Trevor
  4. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    yeah you will have trouble finding that blank. i used to see a lot of guys in alaska using fenwick 2 handed 10' #8's. don't think they make it anymore. i used one once for a couple of sockeye and can't imagine you will need much more. that extra foot gives you lots of leverage when fighting fish, that and two hands.

what is your intended use for the rod? i think you will want to go to 10' if you want a 2 hander.
  5. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    The rod is for atlantic salmon. We have one right now and I belive it is an old RPL blank. It was custom made a few years ago for my grandmother as it is a much easier rod for her to cast.
    It is also a much easier rod to cast for less experienced people. That is mainly the intention for this rod. I think my dad wants to use this one for his girlfriend and other less powerful people that come and fish with us.

I have my Sage SLTs in 7 and 8 weights for the atlantics right now and love those rods. Maybe there is an SLT blank I could use... I am gonna check that out right now.
  6. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Wouldnt it work if i just got a 10 or 10.5 foot blank and added about a 5 inch piece of cork to the bottom for a second hand.
    This really just needs to be a forgiving rod with some power.
  7. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    you mean like adding a fighting butt? you sure could do it, but it will not feel quite the same as if it were intragal (sp). can you find a ten weight blank of that length? i've built a permanently attached fighting butt in the past so let me know if you go that route and i can describe it a bit.
  8. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    I dont think a fighting butt would be strong enough. I am talking about a 5 inch piece of cork over the bottom of the blank. Rather that the fighting butt which would extend below the blank itself.
  9. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    What I do in the shop is add about a 4" - 6" piece of a blank that fits snuggly into the bottom of your rod blank that you're building. Use some sort of rod bond and let it cure for the day. Then you can commense to putting a cork lower grip on it and continue to build the rest of the reelseat and the upper grip.

We have done this many times with customers that want to extend their lower grips without tearing up the rest of the rod. This way they also get a permenant fitting but sort of speak.

Enjoy. If your in the Lk. Stevens area stop by.

:thumb:
  10. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    scott describes it. in fact i got the scraps for the extension from his shop last time i did this. i would say that the longer the scrap goes up inside the blank, the better the feel is likely to be. you could use this to extend a 9' blank. if you've found the 10 or 10.5 foot blank then your suggestion would be preferable.
  11. Obsessed Member

Shoreline, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Try calling Dan Craft at Dan Craft Enterprises. As I recall he has 10' 10wt blanks that might be what you are looking for.

www.dancraftent.com
  12. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I was reading this morning that IGFA regulations require that a fighting butt to extend no further than 6" from the center of the reel seat. I'm not sure I care what the IGFA says but you might :)
  13. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    yeah i dont give a _____ about the IGFA... iagree
  14. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hi D3...gotta try and talk you into a Dan Craft FT1010-4. Outstanding stick and you can compliment it at with very nice components and still come in WELL under your budget. Bob Meiser's using these for his switch rods, and swears by them, as do dozens of our DC customers. Don't let the low price make you think they're not at the top of the performance end...they're as nice as it gets--it's just a lot cheaper for Dan to produce/market them on a small scale than what the big boys have to pay in advertising, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to be sure you at least checked 'em out! You won't regret it! :)

John

The Rocky Mountain Rodbuilding Supply Co.
    Your source for the finest in fly rod blanks and components.

www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com
  15. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    we want this to be pretty forgiving...
    If it is comparable to the TCR then that is WAY too fast for our uses...
  16. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    D3--Dan's 9' FT blanks are perhaps best compared to the TCR in terms of actual angle of action (both are high 70degrees AA), but the FT even in the shorter length is markedly more forgiving and easier to cast. In fact, we've sold them to numerous customers who are in the early stages of fly fishing and none have expressed problems casting them. Heck, I can cast 'em! ;)

The 10' are MUCH different animals, IMO. I love 'em (not that I don't like the 9'-ers). More of a moderate-fast to fast instead of ultra-fast action, and you can really see/feel them load progressively. They have a lot of the characteristics you want in a powerful switch or two-handed rod, which is no doubt why Meiser thinks so highly of them! In fact, I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, but I bet if you contact Bob via his website (http://www.meiserflyrods.com/) he'll be happy to give you a thorough rundown on them. If not, drop by www.rodbuilding.org and post a thread asking for the best 10' 10wt blank for a switch rod, and you'll see what I mean.

All the best,

John

www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com
  17. sdcanoe Member

Halifax
    I have a factory built Sage 10' 8wt. SLT and would be interested in adding a lower grip as Scott Behn has described, to convert this rod into a light spey like the Meiser switch rod. I am wondering if this can be done on a completed rod or does the lower grip have to be added when the rod is built? Also, does any one have any input on the whole idea of using this rod for a switch style spey rod.
    Steve.
  18. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    john.... if i wanted to order that blank and all the nessesary good components from you could you help me out?
    thanks david
    dssmart@pepperdine.edu
  19. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Steve,
    You can do this to your finished Sage, but the drawback is your going to most likely void any warranty you have on the rod. If you have any questions on how to add the extra length let me know.

:thumb:
  20. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hi David! Just sent you a PM. We'd be delighted to get you into a Dan Craft. I don't think you'll ever look back! :)

John

http://www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com