The first fly you ever tied?

Growing up in the midwest, the first pattern I tied was a sowbug. I was so excited when that fly worked! Thought I'd struck gold...tying my own flies. Still feel that way when there's a bend in my rod!

SpringCreek

Addicted to Cane.......
First fly ever was a Carey Special tied when I was about 12 at a Boy Scout Meeting. Although it was far from perfect it caught fish until I lost it. I still tie a few Carey Specials when I have the need. To me, they may be the easiest fly to tie and are one of the best stillwater flies ever created.

Jim

It was a Woolly Worm the forerunner of the Woolly Bugger. This was in 1970 . It had a red hackle tail, black chenille and a grizzly hackle. This was in the days before the nice genetic hackle so we used the larger hackle from a roosters neck palmered through the chenille. Truth be known this is still one heck of a fly and very close to one of my favorite flies for lake fishing, the Mity Mouse. The Mity Mouse is a woolly worm except that it has a peacock body with a brown genetic saddle hackle palmered along the body, no tail, and hackle barbs gape length or shorter.

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
Lee......what you said to all, except green chenille and the year was 1971,learned to tie with "tie your own flies" Patrick and "pacific northwest fly patterns" Patrick.
Keith

ak_powder_monkey

Proud to Be Alaskan
I tried to tie an egg imatation, I took thread and wrapped it so much it was the shape of an egg, then it unravled because I didn't know what a half hitch was... The first thing I did with a vice and stuff was a marabou black ghost which was ugly

Well, the first flies I tied were the Gray hackle yellow and the Brown hackle peacock.
I caught a lot of fish on those two and still have one or two in my go to box.

I don't remember the first thing I tied.... probably doesn't have a name. I was working at WaMu at the time and a guy by the name of Larry Dewey brought in his tying stuuff and let me play around. I used to tie at work all the time.

Scott

hedburner

Maybe 1973 or 74 a flytying class at Everett community college. The basic black wooley worm with the red yarn tail. Still have the Thompson Model A fly vise too.

kosel80

Native Trout Fan
Endless olive wooley buggers for SRCs for my dad. I didn't fly fish at the time but he did. He had the good sense to tell me they were exceptional even though they looked terrible so that I would keep on tying them. Kept him in free flies for a while till I saw how many more trout he was catching!

Adams. It was too fat and the tail was too long and heavy, but I got the front half right, though I crowded the hookeye. Still do that sometimes.