.410 shot string

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Alex MacDonald, May 16, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    We had the opportunity to actually see the shot string out my .410 yesterday against the sky, and with that tight choke it appears to be about a foot across at 25-30 yards! I don't know what the choke is for it, so I probably should check that out! It really forces you to be on your bird! I'm shooting Cheddite 3-inch loads. These are the primed, never fired Cheddite hulls, and I find that they're universally tight to put into the chamber. I'm eager to see how they re-size in my reloader.
  2. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    I hunted with a friend that used a 410 bolt action and Jack killed as many pheasants as I did with my 12 ga.
    I think Jacks gun was full choke.
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    I've held back from buying a .410 despite the draw to such a light gun. One with slugs would be interesting though...

My favorite is still the 16 closely followed by the 28.
  4. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +644 / 0
    I miss my fair share of birds, so I'll stick with the 28. At least it's light & a joy to carry around while I hike to my next botched opportunity.
    Steve Call likes this.
  5. totallycustom Member

Gig Harbor
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I like my .410s but usually just reserve them for rabbit hunting or ground/tree swatting grouse. They excel at that for me, no need to worry about shot strings then.
  6. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +215 / 0
    Damn Gary, they're going to think I'm your shill! I hunted doves for years with my 410 o/u and did very well but one day I blew feathers off a bird and my wife pulled up and crushed it at longer range with her 20 gage and I started to reevaluate my position. The muzzle velocity is the same but the results are dramatically different. Now I've gone to 28 ga. and I no longer feel any handicap over the 20 ga. It seems to be a ballistically efficient load. I was suprised how efficient it was on roosters over pointed birds.
  7. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    I can't imagine hitting anything with a .410. But then again, I'm not the worlds greatest shot with a shotgun. Perhaps if I were shooting for my dinner, I'd be more on top of things.
  8. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    I would love to own a beautiful English made engraved 20ga shotgun with gold inlay that comes in a solid wood case
  9. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Makes two of us! Whatever you do, do NOT go into Kirby Hoyt's Vintage Doubles in Malaga if you're holding your own wallet!!! He's on line if you want to drool...:eek: