new boat

One of whaler's best hulls is the Outrage from mid 80's to early 90's. Variously called the 18 or 19'. Not heavy compared to today's hulls. Great ride and shallow draft. Sometimes hard to find in the NW but there were a lot this past year on CL.

I sold my 17 foot Carolina Skiff Sea Chaser to a board member early this summer. I replaced it with a welded aluminum Woodridge that has a decent foredeck for casting and plenty of room in the cockpit for same. Not many of the welded hulls have enough Vee in the hull. This is a better all around family boat for me and don't have to worry about hitting a deadhead or beaching the aluminum hull.

Robalo's are decent quality production boats. Even the supposedly great hulls like grady and whaler can be poorly built depending on who does the assembly. As with any hull watch for soft spots on the deck and transom and seal any holes. It all depends on the care it has been given up to your ownership. Flush the motor regularly, rinse the trailer well, keep your bearings lubed up and most importantly --- USE the BOAT!

Have fun.

John

gt

as all boat owners know, no matter what you pick, it's a compromise. whether it's the material that the boat is made of or the configuration of the deck, it all comes down to personal preference and availability.

even though that regulator would have weighed in 1,800# more than my aluminum hull and required bigger engines to achieve the same performance, the ride is the best in it's class (>26') and if a dealer had been closer than ohio, who knows. fishing the gulf stream often means runs of 40-50 miles at high rates of speed no matter the seas. boats that are designed on the eastern sea board seem to have been designed with this sort of use in mind. but only a few boats will give you a comfy ride, go easy on the fuel and be configured to fish. unfortunately, it requires you to take a test spin to actually sort out the best of breed :)

i commonly fish the bow when we are halibut fishing and will chase fish 360 when the need arises. the nasty chop on the strait will keep me in port when i can't fish my boat this way even though it runs bigger seas than i normally want to run. i would rather skip a day than be uncomfortable in that chop for hours on end. now long ocean swells, i don't mind that in the least.

having been really cold on my CC, i can certainly understand why so many opt for that enclosed cabin with a heater going full blast. that would be a nice additional on nasty cold days. but, i have a boat to fish and fish it must.

so all the best with your new ride and make sure you use that boat as often as you possibly can. one word of caution, when you go to flush that yamaha 150, use the hose connection that is already in place on the engine. apparently these long shaft motors do not appreciate the ear muff flushing devices. i cooked a water pump before this was pointed out to me, so a word to the wise.