$430 Brown: Idiot Award Shoe-In

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tim Lockhart, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

That's about how much gear I lost when my rod went overboard today. Oh, and it gets better. I did this a couple of years ago at Pass and managed to recover the rod as the floating line was still near surface. Not this time, no floating line, no rod recovered, but...

I've never been to this wetside lake but had it on radar the last couple of seasons from earlier research. There was the possibility of some very old browns, a long-shot at best, but enough to give me the itch. I figured if I waited any longer these fish would simply get too old and my shot would be gone. Nice lake as it turned out, however nothing but little rainbows for several hours while the midges popped. The lake also had some of the nastiest cover I'd seen in a long time along its shoreline, but a bit of sampling told me any action would be had in the open where the midges were coming up. OK fine, I was here for the first time and it was entirely possible those browns were long gone. For now I'll get familiar with the place and hopefully visit another few times. Perhaps luck would pay me a visit eventually. Another turn at the midge hatch and I'll call it a day.

Still flipping the leech, a couple more little rainbows, then THUMP....bounce-bounce-bounce...by then I was taking it for a triploid. A very stubborn triploid. A deep diving triploid. A triploid I couldn't lift (and I'm dumb enough to be out here with a sprained wrist). Then it came up and its tail broke the surface as it waived. Shit. That's no rainbow. And it's one of the biggest browns I've seen. Guess they were still here after all. I wasn't feeling good about my odds of landing it, and shore was too far away. Nose to the net trick was about all I could try and today it worked. The flip, the bearhug, the wrestling match and finally good fortune was mine. 26.5 and lots of energy. Too big to be cruising for midges I thought. Then again, probably just right to cruise for whatever feeds on midges. After putting it back all was right with the world. Well, except that in all the chaos my rod had quietly snuck overboard. Gone for good. Idiot. And I did this once before at Pass. F#cking Idiot. If nothing else, I still say it was worth it.

At least I'm a happy idiot.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

PHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the overboard , but hot dam on the big old brownie. sorry about the lost rod and reel.

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Catching a brown like that is probably an even trade for the rod/reel

4. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

OUTSTANDING FISH! Sorry about the rod/reel.

5. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Wow, what a pig! Sorry to hear about the lost rod and reel.

6. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

FF,
    That brown is not only big but in really good shape. He may not be as old as you surmise!
    Sorry 'bout your outfit disappearance. Don't need a downer to balance that high.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Holy SHEET Ford_Fenders, that is a very nice fish indeed. Are you sure that you even had that rod along? A fish like that can sure make you forget things. Is your wrist up for some fishing tomorrow?

8. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

"Oh! There's a big fish. Oh! Big fish. Big fish! Ha Ha."

Sweet! (and sorry too). But, way more sweeeet! Way to go Tim!

9. Ed Call

Someone needs to design a fly rod butt insert that is a 25' coil of heavy monofilament with some water soluble adhesive. Rod drops in and the adhesive dissolves, releasing the small cork knob, the coil of line and Ford_Fenders gets to catch that big brown's mate!

10. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Good gawd what a toad. Now
    you will pm'd to death with
    location questions.

Sorry about the loss,
    congrats on a stunning fish.

Dave

11. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Great fish Ford sorry about the rod.

12. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Let me in on where the lake is and I could be convinced to dive for the rod for you.

13. Ed Call

I was tracking him electronically with a nifty little lojack transmitter.
    You can almost make out the small disk in the upper right side of his raincoat.
    I freaking love technology and the willingness of the goverment to test it.

14. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Of course we're all sorry, but Don't give up the lake, and the really good part is great pictures and no doubt from anyone you caught the fish. You could always take a diver in blindfolded and out after he's got your rod. Maybe even let him fish while you're there. There may be enough debri down there the rod maybe hard to locate if you're not sure where it left the show. Congratulations on being right about the Big ol browns and catching one for the showing of it. and we're mostly sorry it wasn't our fish. you can do it again. Mumbles doesn't stretch the truth too often we know.

15. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

This is the third rod lost overboard since the season started March 1st, at least of those posted. You guys are scaring me. I will be careful this weekend.

Wayne

16. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Awesome story and great pictures FF. Now take a day off and recover that rod!

17. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Don't be too sure about your idiot award. I'm also in the competition - lost my Sage rod at Pass last weekend, and it was only over an 18" rainbow. Exact same scenario too: released the fish and looked over just in time to see the rod tip disappear.

(Aspiring salvage divers can check the classifieds under "free sage rod" for GPS coordinates.)

Anyway, I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one. And congrats on the hurkin' brown!

18. Mark Horwath

Mark Horwath Member

Nice photo's,and a great story I think that brown was trying to tell you something when you were hugging? sorry about your rod. What a slab congrats!!!!

19. Chef

Chef New Member

great pics and report. Sorry to hear about your rod.

JC built me a neat rod holder just for those times and it works wonders. Last time I was at Lone, I got hit really hard but rod was saved because of the holder he built.

20. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Great looking fish ! i fish out of drift boats and always have a regular small rod with a wobbler for a jig in case i lose a rod over board . it happened once to me and ever since then i always have something i can jig a lost rod up with . in a float tube you could buy a pocket fisherman for about 10 bucks and have it with you at all times ! it almost happened last summer when i wasnt looking at my indi and was helping my friend with his fish , when i looked back line was running out , i just barely got to my rod before it yanked it into the lake , luckily i had stripped out a bunch of line between reel and first eye just in case i did hook a fish in that brief moment . i agree with getting a diver !