$430 Brown: Idiot Award Shoe-In

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tim Lockhart, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Congrats on the brute, sorry to hear about the equipment. Super sweet and sour day.

2. gdbrill

gdbrill Tight Lines

FF, too bad about your gear. Great fish, congratulations.

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Nice fish FF. Glad that your hunch was right on the big boys in that lake. Like the others have said, too bad about the rig on the bottom. I have yet to lose a rod overboard but I suppose it will happen one of these days.

MB

4. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

Good golly what a fish! Congratulations Tim, looks like your research and recon paid off! Quite the finale for the ol' Echo rod too. My thoughts are it gave up the last of its mojo for that brown and decided retirement was in order.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I looked at that fish real hard and it doesn't look like any browns that I have ever seen. There are no halo's around any of the spots on the fish and where I'm from the fish that get that big have a brown/yellow tinge to them.

I could be wrong as I sometimes are. But I not so sure this time.

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

FF-

It's only money right? If I were you I'd slash that float tube, burn your waders, and empty your fly boxes in the lake as an offering of thanks to the gods of stillwater! Amazing fish!!!

Rod

7. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

With guided trips on the Yak going for $450 (plus tip), gas at $4/gallon, a trip to New Zealand costing $$$, your loss is small in the whole scheme of things, but it still sucks! I'm glad for the fish, which more than made up for it! Rick

8. Islander

Islander Steve

Bummer about your gear but that is one sweet ass fish FF.

9. tkww

tkww Member

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Good story. Nice fish.

I have been fortunate to have not lost a rod while admiring my catch but I did let a nice $50 rubber bag net slip to the bottom of Pass after landing a nice fish.

11. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

I must agree with all the above! :thumb:

LB

12. Lostcreeker

Lostcreeker Member

So Tim, too bad about the gear but, most important, did you go back to your truck, get your spare rod and reel and get back to the office?

13. Caveman

Caveman Member

I can scuba dive for your rod?

14. troutramp

troutramp Member

thats a healthy brown.

15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

How deep? I'm a decent free diver, up to 30' feet or so. I'd also be willing. You could blind fold me if you didn't want to give up location.

No doubt we could get your rod back.

That brown is just wicked.

Ira..

16. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

that is an awesome fish! sorry about the rod...but there is hope, maybe someone will catch it for you....i've caught a rod out there before but it was old and crusty!

17. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I lost a rod to a fish out of the back of my boat in pass lake years ago. Checked my location. Took my brother and his friend back up with scuba gear and he found the line on the bottom, then the rod with a bonus of some huge crayfish! I would look for a friend with scuba gear.

18. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Idiot Award for losing your rod? Naw. I managed to lose a cousin's rod once landing a fish that wasn't nearly as nice as yours.

K

19. Jim2010

Jim2010 New Member

I've started carrying a small marker buoy with me (can you tell I've lost a few items?). The idea is that as soon as I drop something, I can send the weight down and have a pretty good idea of where my stuff is on the bottom. Then, I can hopefully drag it up with the weight and treble hook I also keep on hand. Fortunately, I haven't dropped anything of value since gearing up. This may not work as well when you don't realize right away that you lost something, but it will at least give you a general idea of where to start looking.

By the way FF, awesome fish.

20. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Holy Crap, Tim! That's one slab of a brown! Don't blame you or the fish for the lost rod and reel. It was a version of the camera jinx. Next time, just don't bring the camera--or just toss the camera over the side if you have a big fish on. Much safer that way.

--Dave E.