Dog Hair?????

Brushed out my 10 mo old yellow lab yesterday and got some really fine fur that almost cream color. Is it good to use as dubbing???? Have other done this? Thanks

Every March when she's shedding I brush and comb my lab. I've got a big bag of the hair and it makes an outstanding dark brown/near-black dubbing.
I wash it in a big mixing bowl of soapy water, rinse it in a tea strainer under the faucet, then dry and bag. No need to chop it in a blender.
Know someone with a lab? Offer to give it a good brush and comb job (and be sure to bring along a couple large ziplock bags).

Excellent dubbing...Mike T is right on the money here. Back before packaged dubbing became widespread, a tyer named Polly Rosborough (read his book TYing and Fishing the Fuzzy Nymphs if you can find it) suggested that a good source of dubbing was the local pet groomers. If I remember correctly, he got a lot of his dubbing there. Dog hair dyes well, as I recall, and with a yellow Lab, you've got a more tying material than you're likely to use in a lifetime.

Don't labs have a double layer coat? that is why, I mentioned the coffee grinder. I had to use one with my German Shepherd, otherwise the wirey outer hair made it very difficult to spin an even rope.

I'm trying to remember if I ever had a problem using hair from my Lab. I don't recall it, but then I tend to prefer buggy looking dubbing anyway. As an example, I don't pull out the guard hair from mink or muskrat. I really don't recall if the longer guard hairs on a Lab were problematic.

Now, if you're looking for really smooth dubbing, get a cat. Short-haired cats have really fine dubbing fur.

Whenever I need to tie some black stones, I call over the poochie.

I can fill up a baggie every single day he sheds so much. Good dubbing for sure.

Thanks for the input. The FUR is really fine stuff from his hind legs. Super soft and really fine... And the dog is right now a shedding machine. Thanks again.:thumb:

Tarkin

I recently heard from a shop owner that the smell on dog fur scares the fish....
Not sure, but it's enough to keep my aussie from a bad haircut.

I recently heard from a California orange farmer that Florida oranges dont make very good OJ

:rofl:

I find it hard to believe that Polar Bear and Seal Fur do not put fish down but yellow lab fur will. :rofl: Is must be a deeply bred fear steming from millions of years of being licked to death.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
I recently heard from a shop owner that the smell on dog fur scares the fish....
Not sure, but it's enough to keep my aussie from a bad haircut.
My first hand tied fly that took a steelhead was winged with hair from our shepherd/wolf mix.