Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orvis excited about stimulus package!

6K views 103 replies 54 participants last post by  Chris Scoones 
#1 ·
So I just recieved the new Orvis catalog and got a look at the NEW and IMPROVED Helios rod that is even lighter than last years new and improved.All this for a whopping $985! I've never maligned Orvis too much but this is getting ridiculous.I guess they expect plenty of CEO's and Wallstreeters to be flush with alittle extra spending money,...too bad the backbone of this country don't get a donation to pump back into the system.Okay, this isn't meant to be a political comment, I'm just flabbergasted at the thought of a $1000 rod.TFO,ECHO,etc. are looking better and better.

#2 ·
I get tired of posts like this. Yeah, it's an expensive rod. But until there are no other rods on the market at cheaper prices, who the hell cares? Nobody is making you buy the damn thing.

$1000 is a lot of money to most of us. But the fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people in this world for whom the difference between $300 and $1000 for a rod means absolutely nothing. So they buy the more expensive rod. If I had more money than god, I would too. So would you. Why? Just because we could.

#14 ·
I get tired of posts like this. Yeah, it's an expensive rod. But until there are no other rods on the market at cheaper prices, who the hell cares? Nobody is making you buy the damn thing.
Me too. It's not much different than going to a nice restaurant for a steak dinner vs. going to McD's for a $1 cheeseburger. Both will fill you up and make a turd. If you can afford the steak, go for it. If you can't afford the steak, don't bad mouth the restaurant for serving them.

The Orvis Helios rods are made in Manchester VT. Not Korea! I can't afford a Helios, but I'm happy there are people who can. The R&D that goes into a high $$ rod eventually trickles down into the rods that I can afford.

#3 ·
Even in the best economic times most of still couldn't justify a 1K fly rod. Nothing new there.....

#4 ·
Like I said, to most of us $1000 is a lot of money, I know it is to me. But that's why there are $100 $200 $500 etc rods. Why should we care if someone who doesn't consider $1000 a lot of money wants to spend that $1000 on a fly rod? Everyone gets their panties in a bunch over what someone else wants to do with their money.

But why stop there? After all, $300 is a lot of money for a rod to a lot of people. For that matter so is $100. Shouldn't we all be fishing with $20 Zebco rods from K-mart so those people don't feel all stressed out?

#5 ·
I can hear a voice from my past saying "it is all about choices" and "your choices form your priorities". I have some nice rods, some not so nice rods and have bartered my way into many of the better things I've got. I spend my fair share on my gear and some day may touch a Helios, but unfortunately I cannot do so today.

#8 ·
Actually the main thing is that it's your choice,.
See that's the thing about freedom, you get to decide for yourself and if you spend $50.00 or $5,000.00 it is nobody's business but yours!
Well that's how it used to be, but sadly now big brother is watching and even worse, he has started to persuade your friends and neighbors, even your kids! to watch you, for him.
Next thing you know you'll be told you drive to big a car, you make too much money, the house you live in is way too big, you don't recycle enough etc,etc,etc
And that old saw about "I only buy quality" HA! why you sir are just a selfish, uncaring, wasteful individual, who has no right to put your desires above the common good of all humanity. The very idea! have you no shame?
You should sell that expensive stuff, buy a smaller car or house or whatever and give the money, you so callously wasted on yourself to big brother, and he will make sure to send it to those less capable than you to provide for themselves. After all, that's the new American way, isn't it? ;)
"From each according to his ability - to each according to his need" may soon replace "In God we Trust" on our currency, just so nobody forgets.
PS: for you youngsters who don't know where that, from each to each, quote originated---look it up, I know they didn't teach it to you in school)

LB

#7 ·
:rofl: Ha ha... reminds me of a story my buddy was telling me...

He was in the Orvis store one day and a woman comes in to buy a 'gift' for her husband. Seems he has always wanted to take up fly fishing, so she thought she'd get him the gear for his birthday. Apparently, she bought one of everything in about the max price range possible. Waders, rod, reel, spools and lines, flies (for every conceivable northwest fishing experience), boxes, vest, and a pile of other gadgets.

Kind of sad that some guy 'thinking of taking up' fly fishing gets the shopping spree most real fishermen could only dream about...

I agree with Josh, it's a ridiculous price, but if someone will buy it then someone's gotta make it!

#11 ·
It's hard to believe but I actually catch fish on a fly rod that cost less than $1000.00.The helious would be the choice of dumb,first time fisherman who have never hear of Scott,Winston,Thomas & Thomas.Only a fool would spend that kind of money at Orvis when they could spend it at these other fine establishments.

#18 ·
Oh, I forgot Streamline but the TLS are made in Manchester.

"Plus, our 150-years of expertise and high-end rod shop mean you get it for less money. Truly the best value, finest-casting, premium fly fishing rod on the market today. Built by experienced craftsmen in Manchester, Vermont, continuing a 150-year fly rod-building tradition. 25 year guarantee".

#17 ·
All Orvis rods are made in Manchester, VT. with the exception of the Frequent Flyer and Clearwater rods. Orvis has also been hit with the hard economic times; they arent immune to the layoffs. I believe most "value rods" are made overseas now. Look at Winston as a for instance.

If you go a little further into that catalog you will find that the $995 rod is actually a rod $775, BLA reel $219, line $69, backing $20, and a carrying case $129. The Helios rods are $775 to $795, which is still a lot of money but how much are the other fine rods in the industry? They are mostly handcrafted in the USA by USAmerican people.

Also, believe it or not, but Orvis actually has apparel (fleece coats and such) that are Made in the USA. You get what you pay for usually and I'm willing to pay a little more for fine craftsmanship from here in the states.

#19 ·
Look it was JUST an observation.Maybe a redundant post,but for those that this offends,..don't comment.I really don't care one way or another about Orvis or any other company that sells merchandise for more than I can afford.If I could, I would.Each to their own.I think I am still pissed that I bought a Zero gravity last summer for the full price and then shortly thereafter the rod was discontinued and dealers were unloading them for a fraction of what I paid.Oh yeah,I get "tired" of surly people whining about posts they dislike but still take the time to respond to.

#30 ·
I think I am still pissed that I bought a Zero gravity last summer for the full price and then shortly thereafter the rod was discontinued and dealers were unloading them for a fraction of what I paid.
Get over it. That happens with just about everything, be it cars, tv's, clothing, computers, etc. If you're truly looking for a bargain, buy the closeouts. If you must be on the bleeding edge, be prepared to pay a little extra to be first.

#21 ·
from the marx comment to things being made overseas...man do people need to get out and fish.

regarding things being made overseas...show me the person who does not have one item of gear made overseas. Please. Wading jacket? Boots? Waders? Socks? Hat on your head? Hook? The rod is made in china rant is getting old too.

Buy what you like and can afford...and if you can buy via a local fly shop then in my mind you are buying "american".

#22 ·
Orvis Bashing 2009!!! The next Olympic sport.
I don't get it. The original poster gets the information wrong, it is not a $1000. rod that is a whole package. Other manufactures have equipment in this price range why not pick on them?
This is obviously an incredible piece of engineering. The weight is just amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on one to test cast it. Can I afford it?? I could if I wanted to. Will I buy one?? It would be a stretch right now to justify it.
Why does this company inspire such emotion. I love to get the catalog and I shop at Orvis online and in the store. They have many great products and they are not all high priced and for the elite.
The Orvis company is very involved in environmental action, stream restoration and fish habitat. They appear to be great flyfishing community members.
Sometimes there are items in the stores and online that appeal to a small minority but good on them.
Enjoy the catalog, dream about the new rods and take a trip to some exotic location in your daydreams.
Get over it and enjoy flyfishing at whatever level you are comfortable at, financially or philosophically. :)
Blessings
jesse clark

#24 ·
That superfine is made in the US? That may be my frst non-SCOTT rod.

Also, who the hell cares how much a rod costs? There is used gear, budget gear, and mid level gear that will suit you fine. Live within your means and buy what you can afford. If everyone followed that advice, America wouldnt be in the financial crisis it is now!

#26 ·
Okay,Okay.I stand corrected,my apologies.Yeah the $1000 WAS for the package deal.My error, sorry to rub all you staunch Orvis supporters.They market fine merchandise,...I use two of their rods and reels,so it isn't about my bashing,per say,but more of a raised eye brow.Orvis clearly has succesful sales, a statement that reflects comfortable economic times in some circles.It IS comforting to see a glimmer of stability by one american company that markets home grown merchandise.I don't need a Helios to catch fish,....but it sure might be fun.Call it envy.White flag has been hoisted.Have a great day everybody. Hem

#27 ·
If you get treated badly, deal with whomever or whatever company did so one on one. Don't do it here. If you don't like one company for one reason or another you can say what you want, it is a free country, right? But for those that want to bash someone or a company for selfish reasons should shut the hell up. I don't think dirty laundry should be aired here unless all attempts to resolve it has happened. If someone has a preference that is cool, I'd like to hear about that. I appreciate hearing how others find their ways to their gear after testing, research and such. If this post offends, well take it up with me one on one via a discussion or air some laundry of how much of a dick I am here in the open forum.

#28 ·
What the hell, I will add my 2 cents. The same can be said for waders, boots, reels, and for that matter, gas, autos, food, wives??????? It all makes for good conversation or should I say debate. After 60 years on this earth and working my but off (since 9 years old) like many of you more than one job at once etc. etc. etc. My wife bought me a $1000.00 Winston rod and Lamson reel two years ago for x-mas. At this time in our lives we could afford it. I love it, I love the feel of it, I love the look of it and I love using it and that is all that matters. The great thing is the warranty on a rod like this as I am quite clumsy and tend to either break rods, or shut them up in the tail gates. Does it fish any better than another???????????
Not really. We bought a $200.00 Reddington 5wt. for my g/son and I love it for the same reasons as my Winston. I most likely will not do it again but then again I don't have to because of the warranty (sweet). Would I buy waders at $900.00? Oh hell no, would I spend $90.00 on a really neat looking pastel colored fishing shirt with deep pockets? What for? I'm going fishing where my clothes smell like fish, get wet, snagged, ripped etc. My colored t-shirts or tank tops work just fine. In the end I guess it is just a personal choice of which we all have.
I will however complain about the weather as I look out my window and see snow, man do I hate this stuff.

#29 ·
Just to introduce a bit of perspective, here are prices for single-hangers from the more prominent premium makers.

Sage TCX: $780

Sage ZXL: $680

T&T Apex: $750

Winston Boron IImx: $675-$735

Orvis ZG Helios: $755-$775

The plain fact is if you insist on owning a cutting-edge fly rod, the price you pay reflects the R&D that went into designing and producing it. There's no free lunch.

K

#31 ·
What cracks me up is the guy who says, "$1,000 is ridiculous to pay for a fly rod," then goes out and buys his 60th pack of Marlboro's for the month and his 30th mocha of the month and his 4th case of beer of the month=$250 cigs + $90 coffee + $60 beer = only 2.5 months to get a new rod!!!

;)

#33 ·
Only 4 cases? Blahhhh slackers:rofl:
I have no problem buying smokes coffe and beer. Someone has to feed the welfare moms and methheads.

If the helios is too expensive, people won't buy it and the price will go down. You can always get one on closeout when the next model comes out anyway. It's a badass rod at $750 bucks it will still be just as badass when the next generation comes out.

#32 ·
"From each according to his ability - to each according to his need" may soon replace "In God we Trust" on our currency, just so nobody forgets.
PS: for you youngsters who don't know where that, from each to each, quote originated---look it up, I know they didn't teach it to you in school)

PAPAFISH and others have to agree:

It's all all about choice.It's good that some people have the money now to spend.

I lived in worked in the country where that phrase above originated. Fishing over there is a bit different than in the U.S. I fly fished with a $150 cabelas rod and reel and I was the envy of all my fishing partners. I fished with the locals and they could not even afford a $15 snoopy pole. In fact most fished with handlines, nets or cut a small birch tree and attached a line. And boy were they were they pissed-off at me when I practiced catch and release on trout, grayling, taimen and salmon in their presence. I managed to get a couple of them hooked on fly fishing and left my equipment with them when I departed the country. I doubt in that country the locals will ever have the choice to practice catch and release of sport fish.

#75 ·
Dang, with Jacks math ($60/month for beer) I can have that new Z Axis switch next year, just in time for the nates!

Nah.... I like my beer, I'll keep fishing my Redington's!:rofl:

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.
iagree Throw in TFO . Fishing w/o beer? :beer1:

#35 ·
What a soap opera; call it the 'Fishless and Restless'! First we have Faux Anger, but misguided because of missing facts. Then right into the 'pissy' stage'[always my favorite part of the show]!Then the 'disinformation': made in ....made by....followed by the "Rod Father" setting the record straight. After commercial break we have admission[bought at wrong time], some more 'pissiness'[keep it coming!], then contriteness, more 'pissiness' and finishing with a Social Commentary: "Bloods vs. Crips.".....What the F...!? Can't wait for tomorrows show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.