590-4 Sage Z-Axis

Ethan G.

I do science.. on fish..
Hey- I just finished my Z-Axis build and thought I'd show it off to all the builders here. It's a 9' 5wt. with single foot guides, Struble seat with a burl madrone insert, and dark green wraps with some silver inlays. I like my builds to be very neat, clean, and understated. Enjoy!

-Ethan

Great looking rod Ethan! Love the spiraled silver wraps. I only use single foots as well, so I like that. It is strange, the wraps almost look blue.
Well done.

Looks good, but I have a question. Why did you not flex coat the sage logo? It will come off over time. I don't know if this is your first time building on a sage blank or not. Im not faulting you at all, I know a lot of people don't cover it. Im Just letting you know if its your first one.

Ethan G.

I do science.. on fish..
I have yet to label it with my signature and build date. Once I do that I'll coat it in polyurethane. I just don't like the look of epoxy over labels, too thick.
-Ethan

Rob Ast

Ethan,

did you use color preserver or NCP thread? If not, do the silver tag ends show up under your wraps? Just wondering, as I was looking at a G. Loomis that Mumbles owns (factory rod) and the metallic tags were visible under the primary color - looked a little sketchy for a pro job.

Rob

Ethan G.

I do science.. on fish..
I did not use color preserver. Yeah, the metallic tags do show up faintly under the wraps, but I don't find it objectionable.
-Ethan

Ethan, been gone this weekend. Not around a computer,this is my first time back. But you already know, love your work and this is no exception. Great work!!!!!!!!!!!