Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Thinking about getting an Outcast pac1400

Boats 
1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Shapp 
#1 ·
I've been seriously looking into getting a raft for the O.P. rivers and I've heard very good things about this company. I also heard that there are aluminum frames out there which make it lighter. Does anyone know anything about the aluminum frames and where to get one? how much they cost? etc? Also any other input on these boats or other options that are out there. I'm pretty sure I want to stick to a three person raft so I can take it on over night trips in Idaho or take 2 other people. Thanks for the input

#3 ·
I have a customer who has the outcast pac 1400. I can say it's a pretty nice boat. Shawn is right, it's an Aire. But I don't get the deal with weight every keeps touting. These boats are fine, and unless you plan to do multiday trips where weight is important, if it costs you less in this package deal go for it. Hell, I whitewater and the difference in weight didn't really add up in the cost difference for me IMHO. Of course, I was on a budget, so went galvanized. But even today, I stick with it.

My only BIG problem with the 1400 is the rowers seat. I don't believe a rowers seat should swivel or break down. I prefer lowback set seats for rowing. Even on my pontoon fishing boats, I used to take the swivel base off and unbolt the back off of the seat.

#4 ·
I have a customer who has the outcast pac 1400. I can say it's a pretty nice boat. Shawn is right, it's an Aire. But I don't get the deal with weight every keeps touting. These boats are fine, and unless you plan to do multiday trips where weight is important, if it costs you less in this package deal go for it. Hell, I whitewater and the difference in weight didn't really add up in the cost difference for me IMHO. Of course, I was on a budget, so went galvanized. But even today, I stick with it.

My only BIG problem with the 1400 is the rowers seat. I don't believe a rowers seat should swivel or break down. I prefer lowback set seats for rowing. Even on my pontoon fishing boats, I used to take the swivel base off and unbolt the back off of the seat.

#5 ·
I have a super duper puma (same boat) but a custom frame I built and I love the rig for fishing and week long trips hauling 1 other person and a dog. You could haul three people for multiday but it is tight up front and not good for fishing out of the boat in that case unless you are throwing rubber grubs for bass.

#8 ·
That's a nice setup Shapp. Is that a cooler you're using for the front seat to mount on? Can't tell for sure by looking at it.

#9 ·
In the salmon river photo it is a drybox (plastic) with clavey flipseat bracket on top and recretec casting deck up front with the lean bar removed. Now I have a custom sized aluminum dry box from Dave Nissen (madcatr).

I have had a lot of people ask about the set up, but I don't have any good close pics. I will take some in when I get back to boating in a month or so, with the rig setup in the yard. Basically I have a 4 bay frame, where I have a drop bag with homemade table board overtop for a seat, then a Yeti 80 qrt cooler (largest and nicest cooler that will fit the limited width of this boat) and a 15x16x30" drybox that Dave Nissen (madcatr) made. In the rowers cockpit I have to 20 mm rock bockes (painted) on either side of my legs and a "T" shaped foot bar that fits between the boxes. The boxes are suspended with some rocket box slings that Jan at StitchsNStuff made (she also made the drop bag). When I have some serious fishing to do, I have a Recretec galvinized casting deck up front, and a clavey flip seat bracket with action seat and I have that to sit on my dry box, and I have the drop bag and table to sit on in back with a seat pad. When I have two people up front I rig with the table/drop bag up front and drybox/pad for the rower. When I am out day tripping. The frame comes apart and the front people sit on a thqart, and I move the second bar from the back - back a bit and throw on a removeable seat bracket. When the dog and wife are on a week trip I have the table up front with a big old pad and lash a big drybag to one side to make a big lounger/recliner. I also have a Recretec casting deck/anchor system for the back, but rairly use it, as I have other fishing oriented craft. The frame is put together with Star Frame Knuckles (higher end speedrail type fitings) so all the crass bars are moveable to adjust to various setups.

#10 ·
Thoughts on the Outcast 1400 frame:

Good frame, but not adjustable. If you are mostly just day fishing, the stock outcast frame would be great. If you plan on using that boat for all types of situations, i.e. whitewater day trip (if rowing too), day trip fishing, and multiday river trips you can either make/buy an adjustable frame to fit nearly all situations or else you will need more than one frame if you just get the stock outcast rig. The main problem with the outcast rowing module is that you can't load a cooler and drybox into it. The oucast 1400/Super Duper puma is long enough for a 4 bay frame so that you can have 3 bays for stuff (i.e. 2 coolers plus one dry box; or 2 dryboxes and 1 cooler; or 1 cooler 1 drybox and a seat deck/dropbag). The coucast frame only accomodates 1 drybox or narrow cooler (I think the rowers seat bracke is welded on, eliminating that bay for a box/cooler.

It is a great day fishing setup though.
my 2 cents
Shapp

If you end up geting the rig and want to make a frame, you can make an aluminum NRS-type frame for cheaper than buying, and all you need is a chop saw and drill and slighly more hand/eye coordination than a monkey (if I can do it anyone can). My frame will give you the most lenght and is designed to maximize usable space on th 1400/Super Duper puma. I can give you specs if you end up buying the boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.