4wt blank

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Monk, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Looking for a 4wt boom stick blank. Loomis IMX, GLX, Sage XP, something like that. Any hints on where to get the best deal on a blank? I decided to build my dream rod. :beer1:
  2. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    If you are in Everett right now then come out to Lake Stevens and take a look at the shop I work at. We carry all of those brands...
  3. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    :thumb: See you today.
  4. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    I'll be in the shop from 1230-530, but if you go sooner Greg knows his shit, I learn something from him everyday...

:beer1:
  5. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Monk:

If you're building your "dream rod", I'm hoping you're considering using sf ceramic guides AND a taming guide...not out to change the fly rod world or anything, but these guides are a...well, "dream" to cast with!

Also, I sincerely am not suggesting the blanks you suggested aren't superlative, but you really should add Dan Craft to that list. His Signature V line were regarded by many top builders to be equal to or a step up from the blanks you listed, and his new FT series are being hailed as "without peer". The best part is that because of his low overhead, his blanks are 1/2 to 1/3 the price! :eek:

Where exactly are you in BC/Everett? We'll have a sample of his line up at the Western Canadian FlyFishing Exposition in Cloverdale, BC Feb 18-20 if you want to put a couple through their paces.

Another one to add to the list is Rainshadow's all-new RX8+ blank. It is one of the finest performance blanks on the market. It's simply incredible, thanks especially to its multi-modulus design. It's one of the fastest blanks out there but has more "feel" than most moderate action blanks. They haven't officially been released yet, but we should have a sample or two at the show as well to show you what's comin'!

Anyway, just wanted to be sure you were aware of these options as well and especially were considering going with ceramics to get the most out of your new stick!

All the best!

John

The Rocky Mountain Rodbuilding Supply Co.
    Your source for the finest in fly rod blanks and components.

www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com
  6. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Wow, thanks for the advice. I was indeed looking at ceramic guides. I am not much of a gear whore, but I really want to build something that I don't have any regrets on later. I will definitely check out those blanks you mentioned and maybe I will se you at the show.
  7. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Great! Look forward to meeting you if it works out! I don't have the booth #s yet, but we should have a double (20ft) booth shared between G&L FlyCraft and Rocky Mtn, which shouldn't be too hard to find.

All the best!

John

The Rocky Mountain Rodbuilding Supply Co.
    Your source for the finest in fly rod blanks and components.

www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com
  8. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Since I am not one to be real knowledgeable with different blanks and whatnot, I was wondering what you guys would think would be the best 4wt for a small stream for roll casting, tight casting and all that jazz too. I usually just use a floating double taper if that helps at all. I baisically have an idea on what I want for the rest of the components but am holding out until I figure out exatly what kinda of blank I want. Any hints on what to check out?
  9. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Well to give you an example, I'm going to build myself a 7' 3wt just for the little creeks. You figure you'll most likely not see any huge fish and your not going to be casting all that far, so a long rod won't really give you that much of an advantage, IMO.

As far as roll casting on these little waters, I would stick with the double taper. As far as the action goes I'm not too sure, I personally like a med. to slow action for this type of fishing. But that is for my preference and it may not be quite the same for you.

:beer2:

Oh and we also carry the rainshadows along with forcast and we picked up a new line called American tackle (beautiful green blanks, have a weave pattern in them).
  10. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    The only reason I wanted a faster rod was so that I could open 'er up on bigger pools/water. Kinda a compromise as I am not in the market to buy 2 nice rods; so will ahve to make due.