4wt rod ????

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Arthur Vakulchik, Apr 13, 2009.

1. i have a 4wt rod and i had a couple of questions about it.
    Can a 4wt handle fishing small streamer patterns for lakes?
    and can it handle an intermediate sinking line?

thanks in advance,
    arthur

2. Hi Arthur,

I've fished a 9' 4wt fast action St Croix for a long time. It can handle an intermediate line, a type 6 Rio and some pretty big buggers and leeches. It's caught some nice rainbows and silver salmon in Alaska. It also throws size 20 midge emergers on 7X just fine. Take yours out and play with it!:beer1:

3. Absolutely. Just know your limits... i.e. no 4" double bunnies. Depending on the rod it may help to throw a 5wt line.

4. I've got two 4wts, different lengths and action. Both can toss all but the most jumbo bugs and I use a 5wt clear intermediate routinely on one of them.

5. SWEET!
    thanks guys for all the responses
    im thinking of getting another 4 wt. (sinse this one isnt in the greatest condition) but it should work for a while. but i have to save all my money for drivers ed :( . but then i dont have to ride my bike every where! :)

arthur

6. I love fishing a 4 wt in lakes with woolly buggers, a five weight is much more versital but mine overpowers fish smaller than 16 inches, however its necessary for beach fishing and such. I'd save up for a five or a 6 good luck learning to drive, I remeber my first summer with a car, boy that was insane

7. I have a couple of 4 wt rods I built for using while I'm in my float tube, and love 'em. If you're on a budget, you should look at the PacBay Rainshadow blanks. They're readily available, not too expensive ($40 for the blank) and if you don't mind putting in some time, you can put a nice rod together relatively inexpensively.

8. ive been wanting to start building rods but i dont have the money for drying machines and what not and i dont have the wood or place to build a turning table thingy. but someday i will and i will post a report and pics and all that other good stuff

arthur

9. Arthur
    You really don't need any of that stuff (drying machines, adjustable wood support) to get started building rods.
    All you need is a cardboard box, a bowl, and a telephone book.
    Cut two V grooves in a cardboard box. There is your rod holder.
    Put your wrapping thread in a bowl, run the thread thru the book for tension. Add more books or other weight for more tension.

Use multiple light coats of finish to diminish sagging and you can eliminate a rod turner. Just turn by hand until the epoxy firms up.

If you can tie a fly you can wrap a rod. It really is that simple.

TC

10. Thanks Tim, I've been wanting to build a rod and the cost of building equipment was so much more than it would be worth.
    Unless you build many rods.

11. Once I get some money I'll be sure to try it out!

Thanks
    Arthur

12. A 4 weight is fine as long as you arent throwing real large, bulky streamers. I use mine alot at Pyramid Lake, NV in spring to throw streamers for Cutts...works fine as long as the wind isnt too bad!

Paul W

13. I keep my 4wt as a back-up rod rigged with a dry fly. My 6wt is my mainstay and is rigged with an Intermediate line and some kind of wet fly/streamer/nymph. 9 times out of 10, you find yourself fishing wet, but there's no sense in wasting time re-rigging when fish are suddenly rising.

14. Depending on the action you will be fine throwing moderate sized streamers. Depending on the lakes you frequent wind would be more of a consideration when it comes to a 4wt. and stillwater. I use a 4,5 or 6 wt. depending on wind and fly size, line type etc.

15. yep

4wt's are the way to go. especially in a tube!

16. Wind, fly size, fly air resistance, and fish size affect my choice for which tool that I use. For trout sized fish, a 5 wt or 6 wt is a more efficient lake rod choice.

In C & R situations, the lifting and stopping power of the fly rod should be taken into account. A 18-20” Lake Lenore Lahontian Cutthroat is like a stubborn pit bull and will drag you around and kick your butt with a 4 wt. I once watched a fly angler take 45 minutes to land a 4 lb soon-to-be-dead trout. A simple guideline is a minute per pound. 4 lb = 4 min

In lakes you end up make longer casts to cover more water or troll longer amounts of fly line. Heavier line weights handle distance easier and your strike/hook-up percentage will improve as you move from 4 wt to 5 wt to 6 wt with fly rods of similar action. :thumb: