5/12 Rattlesnake Report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by ceviche, May 12, 2008.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Fished R'snake today with Tim (aka Ford Fenders) and my friend, Brad. Though it seemed rather slow for the time spent from around 9:30 to 2:30, the quantity of trout brought to hand were in the low end of double digits. Only Tim brought to hand a fish that was over 12 inches. That one was his last fish at the end of the day and was 16 inches. Nice job!

In a nutshell, most fish were caught on a variety of dries and emergers. Brad scored a few on a Carey Special, as well. Mine were on a mix of dries, a Thin-Mint Leech, a #18 soft hackle, and an amber chironomid. I tried fishing deep, putting out nearly all of my Intermediate sink line and trolling very slow, but that only produced two or three trout that were about 12". Interestingly, these had more spotting than the ones caught near the surface.

The lake is still way low, and much of the structure that normally shelters the big trout is all high and dry. It was very tough having any sense where the jumbos were hiding. Tim's fish gave me some ideas, but, without an opportunity to give it a try, I might as well zip lip until I know for sure.

Next time I visit R'snake, I think I'm going to try fishing deep water with a Type III sink line and also look for shallow water with structure and fish that with a floater. I suspect that these two approaches might provide some interesting results.

Tight Lines!
    --Dave E.

2. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Nice report Dave! A #18 soft hackle?..... way to go, now I'm gonnna have to rethink ALL of my strategy up there. Couple weekends ago, I was fortunate enough to release quite a few of the trips: later in the morning and all deep. Deepest parts I found were about 38'[easy enough to figure out where that is] and lots of pockets of fish. I used a type 4, with my biggest beadhead and a small leech pattern as a dropper, got all but one on the dropper, seemed like if you weren't bumping them in the head with your fly they weren't interested. BTW, enjoyed your stories on that OTHER lake you favor, been a few years, but I think I'll have to make another visit up there.

3. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Good stuff! Ya gotta fish very deep right now with full sinking line (Rio makes a heck of a sinking line) that I use. The larger fish are caught in a little hole in the lake and that is a zipper lipped thing. Go small at Rattlesnake for larger fish. Hare's Ears and Lightening Bugs work very well in the evenings. Hackles you can't go wrong with, but those olive & purple crystal bop leeches sz.10's are really doing well right now. I fish it about 3 times per week and the big fish come to play in the evenings or real early in the mornings. Other than that, FISH DEEP. From 10-4 the smaller fish frolic around...but the big boys come up in that 4-10 foot range and I switch from the streamers to the small tiny nymphs or chronies. Good report! Here's a 14" holdover we C&R'd last week...IMHO this lake should be C&R only, fly fishing only, etc.

rattlesnakeflyguy

4. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    did well there sunday in the rain. double digit fish to hand the largest being a nice 17 in brute that put a great bend in my 5/6 switch. caught lots on thin mints and a olive matuka style fly that i tie with a grizzly tail. big boy puked out a bunch of brown/maroon chronies in my net (big ones around an inch long!)

5. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

That's a gorgeous fish! So pumped for you! As it warms up they'll get real active! It's always so great to see the larger fish hooked and released in this little gem of a lake. My brother caught a 24" last year, that was just unreal! Amazing! Good stuff! -- rattlesnakeflyguy:thumb: