5 Saltwater Options - maybe someone can help?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +162 / 0
    OK, so I'm new to the (puget sound) saltwater fly fishing game and obviously want to have a dedicated fly box for saltwater.

IF you could only have 5 different patterns to fish the salt with, which patterns would they be? I say 5 patterns that would cover SRC and Salmon.

Seems like the Miyawaki beach popper is a must, what else?
  2. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    - White over pink #6 Clouser is "The Standard" for Coho
    - Larry's Popcicle is numero uno in my book for SRC
  3. RedFive Member

Initech
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    1) Clousers in the following colors: chartreuse over white, olive over white and pink over white. Brown over white wouldn't hurt, either. Tie them fairly sparse.
    2) Chum baby
    3) Woolly Bugger, olive, white, and black
    4) Some sort of euphausiid pattern, a small Crazy Charlie type pattern usually does it for me.

Can't help you with a fifth one. I don't typically go into more variety than numbers 1 through 3 with Clousers in the color combinations above being my staple throughout most of the year.
  4. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +258 / 0
    5.) Epoxy sandlance (don't leave home without them).
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,151 / 1
    + 1 on DimeBrite's expoxy sandlance pattern.

Just a couple of other suggestions in regards to salmon flies:

1. Have a few large unweighted herring patterns, preferably tied with a stinger hook. When you see guys tossing 6" herring and hooking up hog coho on a consistent basis, you'll understand why you have them in your box.

2. Clousers - Tie some up in solid colors....all white, pink, chartreuse and orange.
    Also, substitute white with pale pink on your olive and chartreuse clousers. Substitute white with gray on your olive, chartreuse and pink clousers.
    A red or hot orange thread throat behind the eye adds some detail.
  6. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    1) Ferguson's Green & Silver (my go-to saltwater fly)
    2) Art Limber's Purple Gray (I use this fly for bucktailing)
    3) Coho Fly (Roy Patrick maybe)
    4) Knudson's Reverse Spider (first fly I tie on for SRC)
    5) Leland's Miyawaki Popper

I've done well with all of these patterns for both SRC and Coho. I even did ok fishing for Pinks last year with these. However a pink clouser worked best for me on the Pinks.
  7. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    I also like the conehead squid in white for SRC's and pink for pinks. I think that would make an excellent fly box with all the flies already mentioned!!
  8. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    Don't forget the Obiwan Special,
    a big fish killer.

DK
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,221 / 9
    The five have already been listed...and a few extras that you should have too.
  10. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +356 / 0
    TD,
    Just a question. What is a Reverse Knudson Spider?
  11. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +162 / 0
  12. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Find a pattern and presentation that you have confidence in and tie five of it.
  13. Jacob Mitchell New Member

Mill Creek,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am very partial to the shock and awe tubes.......they seem to do well year round.
  14. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    1. Marabou Clouser - Variety of colors; olive, brown, tan, grey charteuse (that could be your five if you wanted) they fish year rod and flat out catch fish.
    2. Chum Baby - Must have from March to June
    3. Sea-run bugger - a cutthroat and coho favorite doesn't look like a whole lot, but that doesn't stop the fish.
    4. Gurgler - For when the fish are looking up
    5. Any krill pattern - perfect for selective winter time coho and cutts

Although there are plenty of other patterns out there those are a great start...
  15. SeaRun Fanatic Member

Northwest, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    ??????
    Either Knudsen's Spider or Reverse Spider. Reverse spidey came just a few decades later!
  16. TD Active Member

North End
    I was just reading that and asked myself if the reverse spider I pattern I got from you off this website was actually a Knudsen pattern or a variation of it.

I have been fishing it since I tied the first one from a post of yours about a year ago and have found it to be very successful in fresh water. I find it to be a fun pattern to fish on a floating line.

I apologize if I gave credit incorrectly.
  17. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +356 / 0
    Certainly no need to apologize. The Knudson Yellow Spider was a fly developed by Al Knudson for steelhead on the Rogue River in the 1930s. When he moved to Everett he brought it with him and it became a favorite for sea-run cutthroat on the Stillaguamish. His original pattern called for a yellow floss body and a superabundance of mallard flank for hackle, tied to curve back and over the body. It eventually became a "style" of fly and is commonly tied today with a variety of body materials (almost always chenille in various colors) and with various waterfowl feathers (teal, pintail, gadwall, etc.) for the hackle, usually much more sparsely applied than in the original.

The Reverse Spider was created by Mike Kinney in the '70s and differs largely in having the hackle tied in the reverse of the Knudson-style spiders; projecting out over the eye of the hook instead of flowing back along the shank. Is it some sort of lineal descendant of the Knudson Spider? Perhaps, but when I write about it I like to give Mike credit and often call it "Mike Kinney's Reverse Spider", cumbersome admittedly, but if you just call it the Reverse Spider most folks will understand what fly you're referring to.
  18. TD Active Member

North End
    Interesting history this area has. I live near the Stillaguamish and enjoy fishing the fly on that river. Now I'll have a little historic nostalgia with my outings. Thank you for sharing.
  19. ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Port Gamble WA
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    I'd throw in a sculpin pattern.
  20. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    Well, since i have only ever used one pattern, and it out fishes everything that anyone else brings on my boat by three to one, I just have ever carried one pattern in two colors.