5 weight reels that sing....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brian in OR., Jul 5, 2013.

1. Brian in OR.

Brian in OR. New Member

I've always liked the click and pawl reels ( 5 weight) for the music they sing when a nice fish rips you into your backing. But i am wanting a disk drag model that actually has some drag adjustment. Any advice on which manufactures models, new or discontinued that have a nice outgoing sound similar to the click and pawl....

2. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Okuma Sierra uses a pawl for its outgoing click. It's not as loud as a true click pawl but sounds similar. They are cheap and reliable.

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

ross cimarron pre 98'

Ryan Bradfield likes this.
  4. +1 ross cimarron

5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I have always been a big fan of the Abel double click pawls.. They sound amazing on a good run. They aren't a disc drag, but you really can't find any more reliability..

Ryan Bradfield likes this.
  6. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

The older Orvis CFO (made in England) disc drag, they do click on the way in and out but they have that sweet click and pawl sound, also the old Redington GD's have a nice outgoing clicker and a off set disc drag that works very well.

7. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Hardy Lightweight LRH.
    Oops, sorry. No disk drag. Great reel though. Dependable, light and screams "fish on".

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

The new Orvis Battenkill click pawl barstock although not a disc drag provides some fine streamside stereo. It does have 4 settings of clickpawlness however. A delight to the eye and the ear.

Ive

jwg, Porter and Kent Lufkin like this.
  9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Lamson Velocity... V1.5, 2 and 3 in gunsmoke finish of course ;). I've come to really like the Lamson family of reels, particularly the older series to include LP's and Radius. Arguably the best service in the industry and a strong contender in the value for the mid-price market IMO.

Rob Hardman likes this.
  10. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

My Hardy Marquies #5, I also own the disk version which sounds pretty nice.

11. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

+1 on the Lamson Velocity. I've got a 1.5 in hard alox that's one or two generations old and it SCREAMS. And it's light weight and has a killer drag. Not sure if the newer ones still sing the same song.

12. Brian in OR.

Brian in OR. New Member

Thanks Rob and Freestoneangler. I have a Velocity 4 as my spey reel, its probably 2005 vintage. How old do you think yours are as the news ones use a conical drag and not sure if the make any music at all.....Maybe a call to lamson would give me the answers..

13. Brian in OR.

Brian in OR. New Member

Thanks Rob and Freestoneangler. I have a Velocity 4 as my spey reel, its probably 2005 vintage. How old do you think yours are as the news ones use a conical drag and not sure if the make any music at all.....Maybe a call to lamson would give me the answers.. Also thanks to Porter and Ryan but Looks like finding Pre 98 cimarrons with extra spools might be a challenge

14. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

velocity 1.5.jpg Mine looks like this. Not sure how old it is, but I do think it's a conical drag.

15. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

My Bauer purrrrrrrs.

16. Yak

Yak Member

I've tried a number of 5wt disc drag models and currently use the Sage 4500 series which seem nice. Anything smaller and I prefer to stick to click/Pawl.