Methow Report

Is that some kind of FRENCH.

This spey angler would not give a crap either way, just ask WTF can I fish through? or figure they got it covered and move on, simple.
I have found that everyone has there style of angling and some of each has an atitude about the others, if a guy is nymphing he is probably closer to trying the swing (than the JIG dude) and ironically will be better at it than a swinger would be at going to nymphing. Personally I think you need to be good at all methods of fly fishing and I preach that daily, I also commend those that stick to there gun's, because it is all about having a good time and fullfilling accomplishments. Going off track here---
I have a great story about a client that once said he will slit his wrists if he has to fish with an indicator, his buddy chimed in and said I'll fish with one. As you know on the move is great nymphing. That guy was begging for a nymph rod by 10:30, I made him suffer for a couple hours,(did not want blood in my boat) eating his words, he had his best day EVER in the last three hours, even got one on a dry with his spray pole. Normally, I would not deny an angler anything but this guy was full of OPINIONS!
Opinions are cheap and EVERYBODY these days are experts. Pushing the opinion of oneself onto others is just poor form. If its legal in the regs, then its perfectly fine to do just that. If that conflicts with someones opinion, then that person should start lobbying to get their opinion written into law.

Im sure we would have great laws if everyone started doing that... We could all be required to step-swing-step. Obtain $240 fines for using an indicator, and be jailed for releasing a steelhead on the Methow, whereas you get death for keeping a fish on the Sky. On the Skagit, we can institute Spey only setups, however if you know how to make a single handed spey cast you can continue to fish with a single hander (of course we can leave the technique up to the warden, and if in poor form, we can obtain that citation). Oh, and since the NF stilly is all about folk lore, we can please the purists in such a way as they did on the NF Umpqua. Require only floating flies... no lead, or sinking lines.

Cliff

Ahem.....I was hunting chukar above the Methow just north of Pateros this weekend. I snapped these pics of the river, one of them being a zoom showing guys standing around bs'ing. The river looked pretty nice and I'd like to hear how you guys did. My weekend was dedicated to hunting so I left the fly rod at home.

Cliff

Methow from Pateros Wildlife Unit

Rick Todd

How was the chuckar hunting? Some of my hunting buddies were in the Brewster for quail and it was really slow-only a couple each for two days of hunting! I found quite a few blue grouse in the Methow area weekend before last. Heading to Montana Friday for opening of pheasant season over there (and wetting a line in the Missouri a coouple days as well.) rick

Cliff

How was the chuckar hunting? Some of my hunting buddies were in the Brewster for quail and it was really slow-only a couple each for two days of hunting! I found quite a few blue grouse in the Methow area weekend before last. Heading to Montana Friday for opening of pheasant season over there (and wetting a line in the Missouri a coouple days as well.) rick
Rick, I'll make it simple and say it was the worst opener I've ever seen. I'm a reasonably decent hunter and my setter has a great nose, and I pounded all the places I should have, but I never saw a bird, chukar OR quail. And I hunted the Pateros unit, Indian Dan Canyon, Central Ferry Canyon of the Wells Wildlife, and Chelan Butte on the way back home. I ran into some other hunters in Pateros who said the same thing. What's aggravating about this is that this area was just rotten with quail back in the late 80's, when I first started hunting upland birds.

Cliff

i had the same thing happen on an orange thingabobber on the methow too. makes me think
i'm gonna peg it and put a octopus hook below it and fish it.

JD

Last day was the toughest yet, but we still caught fish. Most of the fish were caught in places that probably don't get fished very much the last 2 days. The couple that were caught in holes were on things that I doubt nobody else (outside my immediate fishing circle) have in their box. Stuff that was working the first couple of days wasn't working quite as well the last 2 days. I actually talked to a few guys who had not landed a fish as of midday.

Back home for me. Leave the river to the weekenders, almost wish I could be a spectator.

Have to admit the etiquette was better the last couple of days. I think the crowd changed after the first 2 days, but maybe it is just the people I ran into. People were generally happy and cordial and most were catching a fish or two. Ironic thing is that I had all of my problems when the fishing was good and we were finding fish almost anywhere we looked.

Interesting event. My Dad had been pounding a hole while I worked all the pockets above and below the hole. I came back and wanted to nymph through the hole one last time using some non-traditional flies before we left the hole. My first cast I had a steelhead come up and grab my big orange indicator (happens fairly frequently this time of year and I even have a fly for it that I wasn't using). The crazy thing is he rolled on the indicator when he took it and rolled himself up in the line. I played him for about 5 minutes trying to get the line to come unwrapped, but it was like having him snagged in the dorsal fin and he finally broke off my entire setup when he got below the hole into the fast water. I got him close enough at one point to see that he didn't have either fly in him.

Rick Todd

Clif-that is really discouraging! My brother's group had 5 hunters and two dogs. They came back with 10 birds total, which is pretty discouraging, but not as bad as you! They got a few in Chilliwist, a couple at the Bridgeport Bar, and a few more at Central Ferry. They got 1 hun at Indian Dans, and a couple at another "secret" place. A couple bad hatch years, with wet cold weather in May and June can really knock the population down! We will have to try Othello and maybe Banks Lake area to see if it is any different there. Rick

You call that a pissing match?

Geez....What a bunch of pussies on the internet. All assholes and pussies. :hmmm:
Interesting observation from a guy who has racked up 2665 posts on a fly fishing forum. At least you're honest with yourself...that's the first step on the road to recovery.