Hard cider

Its that time of year again. Hopefully the results are as good as last year (when I posted as snarki). I used double the honey and brown sugar (2lbs of each) and cote de blanc yeast as last years batch came out on the dry side. Anyone else learn anything and feel like sharing?

Its that time of year again. Hopefully the results are as good as last year (when I posted as snarki). I used double the honey and brown sugar (2lbs of each) and cote de blanc yeast as last years batch came out on the dry side. Anyone else learn anything and feel like sharing?
Nothing this year. My apple trees didn't do very well at all. They're still a bit young tho. Maybe I'll pick a few bushels up at the market or something. What are you guys using for apple presses? I'd like to build a grinder and a press. I'm looking for ideas.

With cider, yeast is less a factor as the blend of your apples. The apples that make for good hard cider aren't your typical "table fare" apples. You want to use a lot of the smaller, more tart varieties to get the punch you're after.

I like Saffale 05 Ale yeast for my ciders.

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
Hey Evan,

I think I should be the judge of whether or not Saffale 05 Ale yeast is the correct yeast to use.:rofl:

Send samples for testing!