51,000 lb Salmon Experiment- Why cleanup the river?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wadin' boot, Sep 1, 2006.

1. When that truck ran off the road into the Sammamish Slough the other day 51,000 pounds of frozen salmon went with it. Now they're taking the time to clean the mess up. Pulling the Semi out makes sense, but the fish too?

See link:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003238690_fish01e.html

Aren't dead salmon the kind of ideal river fertilizer that leads to healthy Salmon spawns? Alls it was was carboard and fish chunks, and although it probably smells bad, and looks like crap too, it probably was not toxic...seems like a unique experiment in fisheries research to study returns in a few years up through the Slough...

Where's the WFF kid Rory who was looking for his senior project...dude, get down there, put on your lab coat, long pants and gas mask and put a stop to this misguided cleanup:ray1: :ray1:

Meanwhile, back in Wallingford, the evening winds and the eastbound traffic carry the subtle burger and fry aroma of Dick's down 45th st....sure beats whatever's blowing in Sammamish now...ptyd

2. haha, i was actually thinking why were they cleaning it up. I know they throw the salmon carcasses from the hatcheries in the river to fertilize it, so why are they spending all the money in cleanup efforts to keep the river sterile?

3. Maybe they're doing the cleanup more for the packaging.
    Commercially caught salmon ground up for pet food. That is sad.

4. One thing they are cleaning is the diesel fuel. Also, the slough at the moment is basically a drainage ditch, I don't think it could handle the bio load of that much undistributed food, especially as it is probably already the richest stream on the W. side. Also in a healthy river system, the dead salmon are eaten and distributed into the forest, they don't stay in the river. That is probably not going to happen in Redmond. If it did, people would bitch about the bears.

5. Fear not; they didn't clean up all the fish.

I rode my bike on the path through the accident scene Friday morning. The truck is gone and so are all obvious signs of cargo. But from the accident scene to Bear Creek (about 1/4 mile downstream), you can smell rotting salmon. I thought I was in Alaska.

Beyond that, I also saw a big PMD hatch from the first bridge downstream of Bear Creek that repeated itself for at least 10 miles downstream in sporadic clouds of bugs. There were small fish feeding on the hatch though I didn't stop to see what species.

So hopefully there was little to no impact from the fuel.

6. well thats good news about there still being some fish left in the river.