Critter ID requested

c1eddy

Fresh out of the Wenatchee system. This guy measures about 1.75" - 2" in length and dives somewhat gracefully when placed in the water. I found him today with his head under water and body above. He looks like he has some nice chompers (another reason for westsiders to stay home).
I'm guessing he is some kind of water beetle...but any positive ID would be appreciated.

Some 509er told me the back swimmers favorite food is gonads. But fishing in those snow drifts and icy water over there you probably don't need to worry much

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Here's another one I found on the Methow this summer. I never figured out what it was, besides huge and kind of creepy.

I've heard they manage to get inside of breathable waders, and then force their way up your urethra....or was it, they crawl in your ear, eat their way into the brain and lay eggs.

Something like that....

Them bugs are spooky, they don't like to be looked at too long. I was looking at one this summer through a magnifying glass and it started to evaporate.:eek:

Taxon

Staff member
c1eddy-

It's order Heteroptera (True Bug), family Belostomatidae (Giant Water Bug), probably genus Lethocerus. Here is another photo of one:

I saw those on Starship Troopers! Those are probably the first of the invasion force, small enough to be un-noticed until they have a whole armada here. Call the men in black, you may be saving the world!

c1eddy

Thanks, Taxon. That's definitely the critter. Further research reveals he is often called "The Toe-biter"....and the following info:
"The powerful forelegs are tipped with a curved hook shaped claw and are used to grasp and hold prey. Lethocerus then injects a poison through a needle-like beak and sucks the tissue fluid of their prey. Lethocerus can be vicious biters, inflicting pain.....".
I'm pretty sure these little terrors are not found on the wetside. If you're still planning on coming over...keep one eye on your feet.

They bite, fly and also spray some kind of bitter mist out their ass. I know cuase I had one in my fish tank years ago. To say the least I woke up one night with it crawling up my pillow. So back to the lake he went. They are nasty critters.