5127 IS BACK AND MOVING FAST!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dave Alberts, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

I received the following email last evening on another board...

Subject: Legislative Activity needs our attention

Sorry if you receive this more than once.

Jim Tuggle sent the following message re: confirmation of one of the Fish and Wildlife Commissioners. Members need to communicate with members of the committee mentioned below in support of Commissioner Wecker.

We also got word that Jacobsen has amended much of the 5127 language into HB 1778. Next stop for this bill is Ways and Means which means it is really serious.

Folks, just when you thought it couldn't get any wierder it does. Senator Ken Jacobsen has scheduled a confirmation hearing for Commissioner Miranda Wecker this Friday at 8:00am in the J A Cherbery Bldg Hearing Room 2. Just to make it even more continous, it will be a public hearing. This reminds me of the Joe McCarthy era. We need to turn up in force and support Miranda and our commission. I believe this could really backfire on the senator because Miranda is very articulate and good on her feet. Lets use this as an opportunity to show the other members of the Senate Natural Resource Committee how we feel about their treatment of the WDFW Commission.

Mary E. Bryant
    Secretary, NKPSA
    360-638-2987

Like most of us, I thought 5127 was done at least for this year. NOT SO!

Jacobsen has added virtually every provision of 5127 into HB1778. If you are interested, check it out on the legislative site... 1778 seems to be a very large catch-all bill that has many changes that affect WDFW as a whole. The 5127 additions begin at Sec 71. This is really a disappointment.

Since I hadn't seen any thing from CCA on 1778, I called CCA' Gov't Relations Rep, Andy Marks, to see what he might be able to add. He was aware of Sen. Jacobsen's move and was not optimistic that the public could have significant impact on its passage.

Andy was very concerned however, that there be MAJOR public participation and testimony on the confirmation hearing for Miranda Wecker, in Olympia this Friday (4/3/09). If you can't be there, letters to your reps and the Gov are good too. Andy stated that Jacobsen is out to deconfirm all currently sitting members of the commission in order to get his lackys in... Will of the voters be damned...!

Let's have a good turnout on Friday and see if we can get this jerk's attention!

2. herl

herl Member

You are right, I just got off the phone with my Rep's office and ideed, most of 5127 has been pasted on the end of HB 1778 (sections 71 - 81). It is already passed in the house with only one opposed and is in the Senate now!

Please contact your Senators!

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

3. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

i don't really understand what 5127 is, do we want it do we not want it, what does it, what does it affect? ive read other thread and posts but it is all mumbo jumbo to me. do you have to vote on it because i can't vote

4. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    Don't neglect it's companion bill, SB 5404, either. Sponsored by Senator Jacobsen, it has the same stuff in it. Get on it people!
    -Ethan

5. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Thanks for re posting the website that shows us who to contactl. I just sent a letter to the 3 represntatives in my district of West Seattle opposing the new bill.

Thanks again.

6. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

I am gratified by the members who have availed themselves of access to their elected officials and have shared their concerns. While representative government has at times left a bad taste in my mouth, the only way it works is if you do precisely what many of you are doing - contacting your Senators and Representatives.

HB 1778 does in fact have many of the aspects of SB 5127. I also encourage you to contact both your senators and representatives and urge their NO vote on HB 1778 if/when it comes up on the floor.

Commissioner Miranda Wecker has served in an exemplary fashion for 4 years, yet is now coming under fire from Sen. Jacobsen who seeks to exact his retribution on the commissioners because SB 5127 was defeated. If he is successful in unseating Ms. Wecker, the remaining 5 unconfirmed commissioners will fall next in line. Ms. Wecker's crime is to be chair of a conservation driven commission at a time when Mr. Jacobsen is pissed off.

Ms. Wecker's bio/CV here http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/bios/wecker.html

Should you feel so inclined, I would encourage you to send a letter of support of Ms. Wecker's confirmation from your organization, or from yourself to all the members of the Senate Natural Resources, Ocean and Recreation Committee. Email addresses below.

Thank you all. This is getting personal, for all of us.

Sen. Ken Jacobsen jacobsen.ken@leg.wa.gov
    Sen. Kevin Ranker ranker.kevin@leg.wa.gov
    Sen. Bob Morton morton.bob@leg.wa.gov
    Sen. Karen Fraser fraser.karen@leg.wa.gov
    Sen. Jim Hargrove hargrove.jim@leg.wa.gov
    Sen. Brian Hatfield hatfield.brian@leg.wa.gov
    Sen. Val Stevens stevens.val@leg.wa.gov
    Sen. Dan Swecker swecker.dan@leg.wa.gov

7. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    why am I not surprised to hear about this.:(
    crap!
    saddle up, here we go again

8. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

emails send on both topics yesterday morning. Seems like the "silly season" in Olympia gets worst every year; this year it seems that I'm sending emails south at least weekly.

Tight lines
    Curt

9. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Bump.

Tomorrow morning is the latest edition of the Jacobsen inquisition, Commission Chair Miranda Wecker is the intended victim.

She's earned our respect and support. Please use your voice as a citizen and voter appropriately.

My apologies to you all. I know WFF is not a political forum. I think this is an exception. There are hard lines drawn between conservation of our fish resources, and turning control of them over to people who make their living killing and selling those resources. If you want your grandkids to have something to fish for, then you really do need to speak up now.

End of sermon, stepping off soapbox...

Thanks

10. herl

herl Member

11. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Just got this from my representative:

Bill,
    Thanks for the email. You will be pleased to know that it appears SB 5127 will not be considered for the remainder of the 2009 session. This is due to self-imposed legislative deadlines. In order for SB 5127 to move forward, the House Ag & Natural Resources committee needed to act on the bill by last Friday; it chose not to do so. I will continue to keep your concerns in mind.

Thanks again for the message, and please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future.

Regards,
    Larry

:thumb:

12. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:

Please advise the best way to support Ms. Wecker. Are the hearings open tomorrow? Do you know times and room #s?

13. herl

herl Member

Flybill- yes 5127 is dead. That is good. But most of the bad stuff from 5127 has been attached to the end of HB 1778 (sections 71-81). HB 1778 easily passed the House and is currently in the Senate. Please contact your senator - it looks like it is going to be very tough to stop this one.

The support for Ms Wecker's confirmation to chair the Commission is sort of a separate issue, but quite important. I believe the hearing is tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to act on this stuff!

14. herl

herl Member

any report from the hearing today?

Eric

15. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Albums:
  16. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

I attended the hearing yesterday morning, and found it to be a sad commentary on the political system we depend on. IMO, Miranda was at best, average in her presentation while the senators were clearly "on a mission".

The Spoksman link in Freestone's post summarizes the hearing quite well. The question that isn't addressed is why the NW Indian Fisheries Commission has such a strong position in determining the makeup of the State's commission? I don't believe the State plays a role in determining the make up of NWIFC...? And then, why has it taken the Senate four years to begin confirmation proceedings for the commissioners...?

As frustrating and sometimes discouraging as the past few weeks have been, 5127, 1778, and now this hearing, for me, the message that comes through loud and clear is that we all need to be better informed, and take a much stronger position with our elected and appointed officials than we have in the recent past. It is clear that at least many of them see their positions as giving them the right to persue personal positions, vendetas, and paybacks, rather than representing the will of their constituents or acting in the best interest of the resource. CITORI is right, we don't want this to turn into a political "bitch board", but we all need to take a position on political issues and be prepared to defend it.

17. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Funny. I looked on the Olympian site this AM, but thankfully, on WFF, I found the reference to the Spokane paper so I could find out what happened in Olympia. It seems as if Senators Jacobsen and Hargrove have an agenda, and that is to gut the Commission. It is also pretty apparent that they have aligned themselves with the commercial interests (which cannot possibly compare in numbers to recreational users) and the Tribes. We all know that all stocks are down, and we also know what happens when fish and wildlife are not managed based on science (or have we forgotten the past 8 years in DC or that you can't go salmon fishing in California?). Im my own personal opinion, the bottom line appears to be that the commercial interests (and I think this includes the tribes) have overly influenced some politicians the old fashioned way. Perhaps, the only way sportsmen can fight back is to organize a boycott of the commercial interests. If we can coordinate a start date, and all sportsmen get off our duffs and contact all of our family members, friends, neighbors and business associates, we can push back in the only place they care about, their pocketbook. I am willing to carry a sign outside restaurants and markets, are you?

18. Mel King

Mel King Member

Dave
    I agree with everything you said. Its been my experience at the hearings I've attended that anyone that doesn't play Jacobsons game is playing against a stacked deck. Yesterday was no surprise but I'm hoping that whats going on in the political world is a cleansing and politicians know it. As sportsman,we have never been in a better position to make changes than right now.It is amazing that one man can have so much control when it obvious what he's doing and everyone knows it and most disagree with him. I have to ask myself"what does he have on these people that they're so afraid of him". Just doesn't make sense.It seems no one wants to rock his boat but I think if politicians realize that he is effecting their political careers they may wake up. The tribes have a lot of influence because they don't go away and they have a lot of money but sportsmen can compete with that if they stay together and that seems to be gaining momentum.We can't get discouraged and give up,which is what has happened in the past.
    We're feeling the pain and I guess thats what it's going to take. Forget the past and look into the future.Keep the pressure on.Just my opinions from what I've seen.

19. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I testified at the SB 1778 Ways & Means Committee hearing yesterday. As near as I can tell the Committee has not voted on the bill yet, so the members that haven't already made up their minds can potentially be influenced. Go to the legislature website and get the email addresses of the Ways & Means members. There are 21 or 22 of them. I just sent the following email to them all (edited slightly). Use it if it helps you write your own. Whatever you do, don't attack any legislator or call Jacobsen a dirtbag. They hit the delete key whenever they read that, no matter how accurate the comment.

Dear Senator,

I testified yesterday in regards to SB 1778. As all of us who testified indicated, 1778 as originally drafted includes important and desirable elements that most citizens support. It is unfortunate that offending language from failed SB 5127 was added to this otherwise very worthwhile SB 1778 in sec. 71-79. If possible, I and others would applaud the removal of the modifying language from those sections. If not, then regretfully we would rather have the bill fail to pass than have the structure of the Fish and Wildlife Commission altered contrary to the expressed will of the People in Referendum 45 in 1995.

Critics claim that Commissioners are not sufficiently qualified to deal with complex fish and wildlife issues. This is false. With three PhDs and a Juris Doctorate, the Commission is highly and far better qualified than most to manage complex fish and wildlife issues.

Critics claimed that the Commission has disfavored commercial fishing in favor of recreational fishing. Also false. The Commission has reduced both commercial and recreational fishing opportunity specifically because science-driven management indicates increased conservation is necessary. Most of the salmon and steelhead in Washington State are listed under the Endangered Species Act. Of course there is less commercial and recreational fishing as a result. That is unfortunate for people who fish and communities that depend on the economic activity generated from fishing. However, the status of our fish is the natural and logical consequence of a society that has chosen development and degradation of fish habitat and over-fishing instead of conservation. This situation is not the making of the Fish and Wildlife Commission, yet the Commission is left to make the best of the condition.

One critic claimed that the Commission doesn't work well with Tribes. That is a matter of perception. There are 26 treaty Indian tribes in Washington. I work with treaty tribes. Some are easier to work with than others. Of course tribes would prefer to work with one Director and the Governor instead of nine Commissioners. This overlooks that WDFW must work with 26 individual tribes. It appears the tribes prefer a one-way street to a two-way. The Commission represents the will of all citizens of Washington and cannot simply accommodate tribal interests to the exclusion of non-Indian citizen interests.

In summary, the citizens of Washington have repeatedly expressed their desire and intention for a citizen Commission at WDFW. The criticisms of the WDFW Commission are wrong or disingenuous and are intended to satisfy the selfish desires of a few. This would be detrimental to our efforts and obligations to recover threatened and endangered salmon. And passing SB 1778 with the modified language in sec. 71-79, neutralizing the WDFW Commission, would be an affront and a direct attack on the will of the People of Washington State, as expressed by Referendum 45.

20. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Well said, Dave.