Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it?

Who really cares about swinging or nymphing?

What really fries my Ass though is this. Graphite rods and reels with drags on them. I also get so tired of of seeing people in their Goretex boots. Why don't you stick with the traditions of fly fishing and use Gum Rubber?

When I'm using my 12 foot Greenheart and my 1880's Nottingham Woodie I even get bugged about people using reels with metal (other than Brass) on them.

You people should honor the traditions of Fly Fishing and not keep trying to subvert them.

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Swinging swingers. So my question is. Do you use bullet head or bead heads or weighted flies or lead split shot or fast sinking lead core type lines or sinking lines to get down? So don't pick on the poor nymphers. Go swing your shit! :p

Who really cares about swinging or nymphing?

When I'm using my 12 foot Greenheart and my 1880's Nottingham Woodie I even get bugged about people using reels with metal (other than Brass) on them.

You people should honor the traditions of Fly Fishing and not keep trying to subvert them.
I agree with you 150% I use a 10'2" rod I bought in the Northern England countryside 10 years ago that is likely 90 years old if it's a day... It's friggin HUGE and heavy but FUN!

Unfortunately, the oldest reel I have is a 1925 Martin or some such that I pay no attention to as it's tiny compared to my $9 dollar walmart reel....

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Wow! 14 pages and still going. Couldn't post yesterday . . . was busy forging a new popcorn pan & churning butter (had one helluva time milking that cow elk, however). But I did it to please me & no one else . . . kinda like fly fishing, huh?

I agree with you 150% I use a 10'2" rod I bought in the Northern England countryside 10 years ago that is likely 90 years old if it's a day... It's friggin HUGE and heavy but FUN!
Wow...I'm doing better'n I thought apparently. I use Grandpa's old outfit that's probly older than I am.

Cool...:)

Salmo_g

When I nymph, I use patterns tied only with natural materials: silk, wool, feathers, fur; no synthetics. Might as well be a high falutin' nympher.

Just keepin' the thread alive.

Sg

Nate Dutton

I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
Salmo, i could not agree more... I do nymph, I admit it. That being said I only use the same materials that are used in swinging flies. Hell i do nymph swinging flies... i call it my little swing. No Synthetic Materials, only Alpaca hair that i trimmed from the Dali Lama's Alpacas.

Ed Call

Is dragging beads in front of steelhead from my boat considered nymphing? Beads are not nymphs.....really.

SAK
Excellent point, I'm sure that this is not nymphing, but rather it is beading. There is a whole section dedicated to beading at places like Michael's Arts and Crafts and JoAnn's Fabrics. You might be brining the art of beading to a higher level.

Sorry SAK, this one just made me chuckle. :beer2: Pushing for page fifteen?

Bob Jones

Still truckless now farther away
For those of you who are beading and not nymphing the place to get your beads is of course the worlds largest bead store. Shipwreck Beads is in Lacey, Wa. the opposite direction from cabelas new store. Be sure you have time to look if you go there. My bead flies work for the SRCs and Rezzies in the sound. Just don't hit the rocks too often with your back cast. My wifes a crafter and sewing nut, she finds me all kinds of good deals. Bob :thumb: