Identify this fish.

g_smolt

Recreational User
First look says chinook.

The fact that there are pigment "pits" in the tooth inserts on the maxillary reinforces this thought.

I wouldn't bet much on it, but 30+ years of sport and commercial salmon fishing are telling me that you got a king on the line.

There are many ways to tell chinook from coho, and these pics don't show any of those structures or morphologies distinctly.

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Coho can have a darkish mouth, but the teeth gum area is whiteish or dirty white. I say Coho. That's my "Final Answer" for $1 million. :D

ak_powder_monkey

Proud to Be Alaskan
You know what I'm changing my vote to king, because most of the silvers I catch that look like that is after they've been in the river a while... And that is a fresh fresh fish

Plecoptera

Although the gums look white at that angle, the body/head shape and spotting pattern is def a Chinook.

If that were incorrect my next guess would be Atlantic. No way its a Silver.

BDD

I know one thing for certain; no way it is an Atlantic. They have found juvenile salar in at least a couple BC streams, suggesting there has been some successful reproduction. Biggest concern with Atlantic fish farms is the high concentration of sea lice that can affect out-migrating Pacific fish.

Looks more nookie to me that coho, except for the jaw/gum line. This is the second potentially looking hybrid I have seen on here. A good photo of the tail would likely resolve the issue.

So I know nothing about stripers. How did this mystery fish fight/compare to stripers?

Amazing! We have folks that can look through water and guess at the morphology of fish without looking at the obvious. The fish is an Atlantic salmon, undoubtedly an escapee from the North. It screams Atlantic to me and it took a second to realize why.

There is a basic, incredibly basic, clue and it is completely visible in the picture.

Verified it in Mecklenburg...

A clue- "dolomieu"...
art

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
No way is that an Atlantic salmon. Spots are too small! and there would be more of them I think. COHO!! I still want the $1 million! :D

BDD

One huge thing for me is the tail shows clearly in the one picture, underwater. That ain't no coho! The strong black trailing edge would be a give away if you can see it and the fact we see a light colored tail cinches it.
Amazing! We have folks that can look through water and guess at the morphology of fish without looking at the obvious. The fish is an Atlantic salmon, undoubtedly an escapee from the North. It screams Atlantic to me and it took a second to realize why.
Looks to me like in your first quote, you mention you can ID it by looking at the tail underwater, then in the second quote, you dismiss another opinion because of looking at the fish underwater.

:hmmm: