A Couple of Flies I Tied at the Ellensburg Fly Fair

Along with the traditional North Country Spiders I tied a PED version of a flymph and a Davey McPhail CDC Emerger. Both flies were well received so I thought I'd post them here.

PED Flymph

PED Flymph
Hook: Mustad 98482 Size 14
Thread: GG Sheer 14/0 black or gray
Tail: Wood Duck Flank fibers
Rib: Fine Copper wire
Abdomen: PED Dubbing
Hackle: Medium Dun Hen
Thorax: Partridge Aftershaft Feather (To reinforce the aftershaft feather wrap it around the tying thread before wrapping it on the hook.

CDC Emergers

Hook: Daiichi 1130 Size 14
Thread: Danville 70 Denier Camel color
Rib: Tying Thread Colored with a Marker
Tail: Deer Hair (Sparse)
Thorax: Brown Beaver Dubbing
Wing: Brown CDC Feather Tips
Head: Brown Beaver Dubbing

BWO Version

Hook: Daiichi 1130 Size 20
Thread: Gordon Griffiths Sheer 14/0
Rib: Tying Thread Colored with a Marker
Tail: Coq de Leon Feather Fibers (Sparse)
Thorax: Olive Beaver Dubbing
Wing: Natural CDC Feather Tip
Head: Olive Beaver Dubbing

Both the flymph and CDC Emerger can be altered to match most any emergence we have here in the PNW.

REE

Preston

The aftershaft feather is often called a "filoplume". It is the small, soft, almost quill-less feather associated with the base of the stem of many breast, back and rump feathers

Thank-you Preston. Filoplume I understand.
Now it makes sense why the tying thread is used as a reinforcement.
Rather than wrapping could the aftershaft be placed in a dubbing loop and get the same effect?

Dave

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Ron
It was great meeting you and talking spiders and such. Were you able to get hooked up with the Edgar Seally, Octopus limerick hooks I mentioned?
If not, PM me your mailing address and I will send a box.

TC

Wet Line, A dubbing loop would work just fine, but might add a bit more bulk than I like.

Tim, Nice meeting you too. No, I wasn't able to hook up with him. I was supposed to be done tying at 2, but people kept showing up so I kept tying till 5. PM on the way.

REE

Thanks for sharing those patterns, Ron. CDC emergers are always my go to flies when things get tough, or sometimes even before then!

Do you wrap the aftershaft feather first then wrap the hackle over it? Or is the aftershaft feather behind the hackle (it's hard to tell from the photo)?

Dick

Dick,

I wrap the aftershaft feather from the eye back. Leave the thread hanging. Wrap the hackle from the eye back, through the aftershaft feather, then catch it witih a turn of thread and wrap the thread back to the eye through the hackle. Thhis reinforces the hackle stem and make a pretty tough fly.

If you are totally confused, my job is complete.

REE

No, I think I understand. Thanks. I've tied and fished flymphs a lot, and I like how the aftershaft feather creates a little more body to the thorax. I think I'll try that.
Dick

halcyon

Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!
The aftershaft feather is often called a "filoplume". It is the small, soft, almost quill-less feather associated with the base of the stem of many breast, back and rump feathers
I believe what Preston meant to say was that "The aftershaft feather is often incorrectly called a "filoplume", as these two types of feathers are completely different and there is no use for a true filoplume in fly tying.

Ron,
Absolutely lovely ties.