Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Squalicum Lake has got my number...

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  kevinjc 
#1 ·
Any of you stillwater experts out there have any advice for Squalicum Lake. It has been years since I put alot of time into this lake, but I had some epic days back in Highschool (all smaller cutt's, but lots of them). Lately, a skunking is the norm, even when those little cutt's seem to be jumping everywhere.

Squalicum is a fairly shallow lake around 10 feet and has a muddy bottom. There are lots of weeds and the lake is a dark tea brown color.

Any advice on fly choice?

I know the lake has leaches. Found out the hard way at 14 when I borrowed a float tube w/out waders. Still trolling a wooly bugger just hasnt produced lately.

Thanks for any help,

Josh

#2 ·
I fished it last Friday, got one nice RB and lost one nice one. But that was about it for five hours of fishing. I got several hits on a black micro leech and caught the one on a black nymph emerger. I was the only one on the lake on Friday except for one local who fished about two hours and only caught a couple of dinks. That would make me think it is not fishing very well.

Last year I fished it a little earlier and did great......everything worked, leeches, scuds, chironomids.....sometimes it's hot and sometimes not.....that's fishin'

#3 ·
I have fished it quite a few times this year and have caught a few browns and rainbows and probably about 2 hundred cutthroat. Small leach and bait fish patters, damslefly nymphs, scuds and chironomids all work real well. I am usually casting into the shore and most of the strikes are within 10 feet of the shoreline.

#4 ·
I haven't fished it this year yet, but last year I had very very good success with damselfly nymphs, in fact, I used a damselfly nymph almost exclusively. Mostly casting towards shore but also trolling or casting towards rising fish. I've also done best in the late afternoon into the evening, I usually would be getting off the lake near dark. Thinking of fishing it here in the next week or two. Last year I was catching quite a few of the 8-12" cutts and a couple of triploids 16-18". Have never caught a brown in there yet though.

#5 ·
I haven't had too much success on this lake. The success I have had has come in the weeds trolling a mini-leech or damsel fly type thing, or throwing something big in front of fish I see cruising near the shoreline. I've been told going deep in the middle and paddling in real slow s type shape works for the big rainbows, but it's never worked for me. Well, I hope you have better luck than me.

#6 ·
I fished squalicum a dozen times or so when I went to school at Western. For the cutts, try throwing a para adams. Even when there wasnt much of a hatch they seemed to always strike my adams. Usually my success was on the far side of the lake straight across from the boat launch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.