5wt Spey vs. 8wt Multi-Tip?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pinkygonzales, Jan 29, 2012.

1. pinkygonzales Swingin' for them shiny steel

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I was in a fly shop yesterday asking a few questions about mutlitip line options for a new 9' 8wt rod I just acquired. To my surprise, the gentleman suggested that I consider a 5wt spey line instead of an 8wt versi-tip. I wasn't planning to make a purchase yesterday anyway so I told him I'd think about it and be back.

Has anyone tried such a thing? I'll be swinging for steel & some coho. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
  2. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Pinky,

We have sold a few of the Rio 5 Wt Short Scandi Versitips to costumers in the U.S. for 9' and 9' 6" 8 wts. They work very nice for single handed spey casts and overhead casting. Both for steelhead fishing on the West coast to Bass fishing in TX and TN to striper fishing CT. Think of it as a standard shooting head set up that you will need to have a running line for at 33' long head and tip included.

Craig
    Red's Fly Shop
  3. pinkygonzales Swingin' for them shiny steel

Portland, OR
    Very interesting. Thanks Craig. Are there any drawbacks? Any reason this isn't more common?

I love the idea of the versatility but am surprised to just be hearing about this now.
  4. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Rio just came out with the Short Scandi last fall. I believe it will become more popular than the standard WF8 Versitip because you can attach any running line you like to the head and really get some distance.

Craig
  5. pinkygonzales Swingin' for them shiny steel

Portland, OR
    Follow-up question for you, Craig. The promotional video mentions using this with a "suitable shooting line." Is there one you would recommend?
  6. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    I am a fan of slickshooter but most of the guys I fish with use Rio Powerflex .030.

Craig
  7. joellirot Member

vancouver,bc
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    anything to keep away from the damned versi tip. i have an 8 wt and i hate it. how damn much 'flexibility' do i need anyway? i'm a hack but i'm even more of a hack with that damned versi tip.
  8. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +222 / 0
    wow...this is really an interesting thread. I'd love to hear what you think about the system after you try it. Sounds like the best of both worlds.
  9. pinkygonzales Swingin' for them shiny steel

Portland, OR
    My thoughts exactly! Here's hoping. Sadly, I won't have much of a frame of reference but it looks like a pretty great setup. We'll have to see what those shiny chromers have to say about it.
  10. joellirot Member

vancouver,bc
    if u were up in BC (I'm in Vancouver) i would let you string up my versi tip to see what you think. would be fun to sling a couple lines around in the park.
  11. pinkygonzales Swingin' for them shiny steel

Portland, OR
    I'm afraid I'm in the Portland, OR area but @docstash has the new Rio Scanti tips on the way to me. I will certainly be posting a report once I get a chance to break it in this weekend. Can't wait.
  12. joellirot Member

vancouver,bc
    look forward to it.