6/7 spey combo recommendations?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Nailknot, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I'm in the mood to spice things up with a new light spey outfit. Lots of new rods and lines on the market since I last was in the spey equipment purchase mood. Any recommendations of the newer light 5/6/7 spey rods, with matching reel/lines?
  2. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    I'm looking at maybe getting the Echo classic 6126. Im not sure of the best line for it, but the Echo site recommends a delta spey or windcutter of about 500grams/ 50 feet of head.
    I have the CND Black Spey 13' 678 and like it a lot. The 5/6/7 Black spey is probably as sweet. CND will have a matching line.
    Meiser's 567 (I think that's the Highlander) looks like an impressive rod. His Highlanders are amazing rods. Ive casted other versions but not the 5/6/7. Highlander's seem to almost cast themsleves!
    Meiser's MKS 6/7 . MKS's are a lot of fun!! I've casted a couple of these with Mike Kinney showing me how!
    TFO's new Deer Creek series will be coming out soon! Im not sure they will have a 6/7 but I think there will be a 7/8.
    Beulah has an 11'6" 5/6/7 I know little about this rod. But The company credits Bob Meiser with the design and I've been told by many people that Beulah makes really great two handed rods. So it might be worth looking into.

As far as lines go, ROn and Kristen at AATF seems to know more about matching lines to rods than just about anyone.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,382 / 0
    Nailknot,

If you like to roll your own, give the Forecast 11.5' 6/7 some consideration. It's cheap and one of my favorite rods, especially for smaller rivers. I was using it again today. It's more of a 7 than a 6, and I throw dumbell eyed 2/0 shrimp patterns on a 15' 8 wt sink tip with it, as well as size 4 unweighted flies. I found the main thing in building this rod is to avoid the standard length Spey rod rear and fore grips. This rod balances pretty close to the butt, making it very comfortable to handle.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  4. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    I wish i had the time to build one up Salmo, but this purchase will need to be off the shelf ;)

After reading Bob Meiser's posting below on switch rods, I'm intrigued.
    The Bueleh switch rod in 6/7 looks like a fun and versitile stick.

Anyone have experience with these "switch" rods?
  5. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    Another rod to consider is the 12ft. 6/7 Snowbee Torridge . I love mine :)
  6. MikeT Member

Hillsboro, Oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I just bought a Beulah 5/6 switch rod as my "light" 2-hander. I've only been able to cast it on the grass so far, but it performed well on both overhead and switch casts. I can't wait to get it on the Grande Ronde. It's nicely built and looks like a lot more rod than the price would suggest.

Mike
  7. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    sage 6126
  8. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    If you want to play with an Echo Classic 6126, a Airflo 6/7 Delta or Delta Long are a great combo. This is my new toy for this summer.
  9. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    I have a Sage 6126. It is a fun rod. I used it alot in Alaska rainbow fishing and it was a great match. I use a Skagit 450 on it with sections of T-8.

Chris
  10. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Any suggestions on reel size for light spey line?
  11. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Nailknot, Please don't take my comments personally. They are being made in general terms toward anyone having these same types of questions.

There are a great many great light spey rods out there and plenty of reels and lines to match them. Everyone has their personal favorite. It would help a great deal if the person seeking advice would tell us what kind of budget constraints (if any) they might have. It does no good to recommend XYZ brand of tackle if the prospective purchaser can't afford it.

There are great "lite" spey rods to be had along with reels and lines from the $400.00 price point to well above the $1,000.00 mark.

Some choices are TFO 12'6"-6wt, Echo 12'6"-6/7, Meiser's switch rods, Beulah switch rods, Sage 5120, 6126, 1307 VT2, T&T 1307, Snowbee Torridge, CND 12'2" Spey Tracker, Loomis Metolius, and the Scott LS2 12'-6wt to name a few.

Figure out how much you want to spend and then find some shop that offer test drives.
  12. KENAIKING New Member

MT
    If its any help, I use a galvan t-8 on my loomis trout spey and my beulah 5/6 switch. The Beulahs are very nice rods for the money and the loomis is a dream to cast.
  13. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    I have a ULA 3.4 on my sage. A nice match. A litte overkill for a smaller fish but I like it.

Chris
  14. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    No worries Red Shed- last time time I looked at lighter spey was 5+ years ago, when the choices were very limited at any price. Nice to see this type of spey has evolved.

KenaiKing/Ringlee- thanks for the suggestions. I like the Galvins I've used in the past. Never owned a Lamson but will look into it.
  15. Salmo Trutta Member

Golden, CO
    The rod the was not mentioned here is Kerry Burkheimer 7125-3, 12’5” 6/7/8, 3 pc.,
    which is definitely 6/7 rod. It casts regular Delta 6/7 or Skagit line, if needed, like Airflo 6/7 440gr head plus 60-80 gr tip.
  16. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    Burkie 7125 with Hardy Salmon 1. The 7125 is the finest casting true 7 I have cast. Meiz's rods are very nice as well.
  17. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,382 / 0
    Nailknot,

Along with budget, your intended application is also important. I have a CND Spey Tracker which is designated 5/6/7, but I'm really only comfortable with a 6 wt Spey line on it. As I mentioned, the Forecast rod is more of a 7, and I'm comfortable fishing winter steelhead with it, whereas I limit the Spey Tracker to summer/fall fishing. James Mello has a Beulah 6/7 switch, and it's a sexy delightful rod, but I think it's also more of a summer weight rod, although he's giving it the winter test.

Reels that suit this size range for me include my Hardy St. John, and the Elkhorn T-4 I picked up at the Fly Fishing show.

If you're not needing to cast the proverbial country mile, these smaller Speys are a joy to fish.

Figuring out lines is easy. Just ask Mike at Red Shed or Ron or Kristin at AATF.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  18. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ditto love my Snowbee Torridge 6/7 12 footer too. Lots of light spey choices now unlike 4-5 years ago.

:beer2:

BG

Torridge At Work

[IMG]
  19. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +85 / 0
    If you want to give a 6/7 Switch a run, let me know and I can let you borrow mine for a while... Just PM me on the details ;)
  20. Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    IF your budget allows, I also vote for the 7125-3 Burkie. The line recomendations from Trutta and Kevin are excellent choices. I use a Danielsson 8-12LW. I just finished building mine, so it looks a bit different than Kerry's production rods, but still casts as sweetly. And yes this is an excuse to show it off.

There a lot of great rods "off the shelf" rods out there, but I always want it my way so I do my own or go to guys like Bob or Kerry.

Rich